Devastating loss what predator?

chickenchick2714

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
Woke up to let my girls out for the day to find 2 of my hens, my sweet Winnie and only golden laced wyandotte and one of my brahmas had been killed and eaten last night inside the coop which I thought was secure?! I’m assuming a raccoon is the culprit and found it’s way in through a weak spot, I’m a first time chicken owner how can I work to prevent this from happening again (or at least do my best to?) is there any secrets to repel predators? I’m so upset

Woke up to let my girls out for the day to find 2 of my hens, my sweet Winnie and only golden laced wyandotte and one of my brahmas had been killed and eaten last night inside the coop which I thought was secure?! I’m assuming a raccoon is the culprit and found it’s way in through a weak spot, I’m a first time chicken owner how can I work to prevent this from happening again (or at least do my best to?) is there any secrets to repel predators? I’m so upset
Were there any remains? if so in what form? What is your general location? I'm not asking for your address, just your state. Was there a place where you could see where it got in?
Any damage to the coop?

Need more information in order to help. If you scroll down, this webpage has a fairly decent guide to identify the culprit:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/coops/what-killed-my-chicken-homestead-supplier/

As for prevention - use hardware cloth NOT chicken wire to secure your coop/run. Bury it deep and fan it out to prevent digging predators from burrowing their way in. Electric fencing is a great addition.

Sorry for your loss. I know how devastating it is :(

Were there any remains? if so in what form? What is your general location? I'm not asking for your address, just your state. Was there a place where you could see where it got in?
Any damage to the coop?
They were in the coop still mostly just feathers and feet 😔 we are in NC, last night my husband went around the coop and re secured any and all areas where an animal may have gotten in and then this morning it happened again and our barred rock Bertha was found the same way… I’m beside myself I have no idea where to go from here… no damage to the coop, I don’t even know where what is doing this could be getting in? My husband is going to set traps out tonight for extra protection

They were in the coop still mostly just feathers and feet 😔 we are in NC, last night my husband went around the coop and re secured any and all areas where an animal may have gotten in and then this morning it happened again and our barred rock Bertha was found the same way… I’m beside myself I have no idea where to go from here… no damage to the coop, I don’t even know where what is doing this could be getting in? My husband is going to set traps out tonight for extra protection
oh no!🙁

weasels can climb through chicken wire but they usually don't eat the whole thing and will leave a smell. Are there any holes along the bottom? Raccoons can open latches but only simple ones like hook and eye latches so if you suspect something getting in there, try replacing the latch with something more complex.
I suggest setting up a camera and trying to catch whatever it is in the act.

Raccoons can open latches but only simple ones like hook and eye latches so if you suspect something getting in there, try replacing the latch with something more complex
I agree with this but they are not known for locking up when they leave, so if the door was not found open I would not suspect this. Though it is a good reminder to check the latching system as it could be the next weak spot.

The best option and an overall good investment for your flock are some security cameras. They are fairly inexpensive these days and easily installed and available.

Doesn't sound like a raccoon because it is likely every chicken in there would be dead. But to have two chickens eaten in one night suggests maybe a pair of small mink or weasel's.

But, regardless, a camera would help.

Back
Top Bottom