devastating morning.......Please Help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wanttobefarmer, Feb 26, 2012.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Last night all three of my bantams were taken. I had 4 broody hens. a showgirl and a sizzle shared a box and a EE and a sizzle shared a box. The other twenty hens and roo were roosting. This morning I look out the window and saw the broody EE in the yard and I thought that was great maybe she isn't broody anymore.Then I went to the coop and there were feathers and I couldn't find all three bantams. I followed the feather trail across two fences about 50 feet away and found my sizzle's carcass. feet and wings were attached. the head and alot of the flesh was gone, but the liver and a couple organs were still there. I followed the rest of the trail wich dissappeared at the end of my property ( which has a lot of trees) . I am not familiar with this MO of killing, so any help would be great. I live in downtown of a small city. Seems like maybe raccoons or possums, I don't know of any foxs around here. Thanks, Carrying On.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry for your lose [​IMG] unfortunatly any of the ones you suspect plus skunk could do that. Sounds like the poor hens tried to protect.[​IMG]

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

4. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    thanks, I really appreciate it. I am locking them up tonight, then I am getting live traps tommorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by