developing egg with a detached air cell?

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
I have a turkey egg I just candled and it is developing fine but appears to have a detached air cell..The air cell is tilted of center in the egg..Anyone else have issues with hatching eggs with a detached air cell? Whats the chances of a good hatch?

Is the air cell still moving around or not? If it's not moving and it's just slightly off center it shouldn't have much lower odds of hatching. I've had some hatch that the air cell ended up directly on the side of the egg and I've had some chicks hatch that didn't bother to pip the air cell but broke straight through the shell. When it comes time to stop turning I just try to set the off center ones where the air cell will be towards the top.

If it's still moving I would keep that egg upright possibly even through hatch. Either keep it in a turner or set it in a carton. The air cell may still settle and stop moving. If possible you want it at the top when it does. If it continues to move up to hatching time then you still want to keep it at the top and leaving the egg upright sometimes helps the chicks position to break up into the air cell. There is some increased risk with losing down pips though.

yeah, that isn't detatched, detatched is when you tip the egg and the air cell goes to the other end. It most likely will be fine

Well no, its not ditached then..Only moved off to the side..
wink.png

duck&chickencrazy :

are they ok if the air cell moves and is detached

I have put a couple dozen in the bator(a few out of a bunch of shipments) and ALL come out on day 10....not a single detatched cell have done anything.
As long as it is *stuck*, even if it's on the side, I have had them grow and hatch....​

There are a couple other threads going on this right now. . .quite a few of us have eggs with detached cells that are developing. I know someone just had some hatch. . .I have one that had a detached cell *and* a floating air bubble *and* a crack, and it is still developing nicely. . .never hurts to give them a try.

Back
Top Bottom