Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Taking the lords name in vain means using it to swear, curse someone, or to draw support to false claims and false prophecy.
OG seemed to use it more to be giving credit and/or praise for Indo awesomeness.
Thank you MrsEarthern. Thats exactly what I was meaning. I was using the statement to give God the credit for such a beautiful creature such as Indo. But I guess their is always someone out there in the world who's sole mission is to be in everyones buisness correcting, and judging everyone for everything they say, or do, making them look bad in the eyes of everyone else without knowing their heart, and doing this only to make themselves look more holier-than-thou, or better then everyone else. I wanted to say something about the comment made, and explain the same thing you did, but I couldn't stop laughing knowing the person who attacked, and judged me for what I said doesn't even know the bible. If people are going to be a Christian judging people for what they say, or do (which you're not suppose to do) then learn God's word first.

Last edited:
F20DFDA7-55A3-4191-AA42-313117F4E85D.jpeg
2364E8CC-1B4B-44B0-A05A-546FAFB86DEB.jpeg

The difference nurture makes over nature.

The top bird is Lanky. The bottom bird is a full brother to Lanky that is one month younger than Lanky. Yet the bottom bird is significantly more mature.

The bottom bird was raised one state over and around 100-150 miles further north. He was raised in pens and coops with his brood mates but with no older chickens. Lanky was raised free range as a part of the Cracker brood cock’s flock.

I believe the difference mostly lay within the domination of a mature brood cock Lanky has been subject to. I believe his body retards his own maturity to keep him alive longer. If the bottom bird were to be turned out on my farm, the brood cock would kill him on sight.

This morning I cooped Lanky and relegated him to a far part of the farmyard with two Cracker hens. I predict he’ll now undergo a rapid maturity where his body will treat himself as if he is the dominant brood cock.

The test is not all that scientific. I cannot totally rule out differences in feed or climate that have lead to the second rooster outpacing the first in maturity. But it is consistent with my independent observation that Cracker stags sometimes effeminate themselves to avoid the wrath of the brood cock. I have seen them go in reverse where they start more like the second cock and revert to a form more like the first stag.

View attachment 3250456View attachment 3250455

The difference nurture makes over nature.

The top bird is Lanky. The bottom bird is a full brother to Lanky that is one month younger than Lanky. Yet the bottom bird is significantly more mature.

The bottom bird was raised one state over and around 100-150 miles further north. He was raised in pens and coops with his brood mates but with no older chickens. Lanky was raised free range as a part of the Cracker brood cock’s flock.

I believe the difference mostly lay within the domination of a mature brood cock Lanky has been subject to. I believe his body retards his own maturity to keep him alive longer. If the bottom bird were to be turned out on my farm, the brood cock would kill him on sight.

This morning I cooped Lanky and relegated him to a far part of the farmyard with two Cracker hens. I predict he’ll now undergo a rapid maturity where his body will treat himself as if he is the dominant brood cock.

The test is not all that scientific. I cannot totally rule out differences in feed or climate that have lead to the second rooster outpacing the first in maturity. But it is consistent with my independent observation that Cracker stags sometimes effeminate themselves to avoid the wrath of the brood cock. I have seen them go in reverse where they start more like the second cock and revert to a form more like the first stag.
I have noticed something similar with my 2 Liege stags. I kept one of my cockerels, and kept him penned with his mom, sisters, and father. Everyone got along great with no issues. I noticed he was not developing as he should have been with his height, weight, and the other physical traits of a maturing stag. I was concerned about his development, so I placed him in the pen by himself next to the others with only a strong chicken wire divider separating the 2 pens so they can still see each other. At first I thought the other stag wasn't getting enough food stunting his growth, but after being by himself he started to fill out, and really mature. I then noticed not long after he started to muture his father started to do the dominant dance towards him at the divider, and not long after that his father tried to go through the divider to try and kill his son. I think the maturity of the subordinate stags is on a natures time delay to show the dominant stag they are no threat, helping to preserve the numbers of stags for the betterment of the species. Stags are the protectors of the flocks going in head first towards the threat to give the hen a running start to safety. If all the stags matured at the same time then they would fight, killing each other, or badly injuring each other making the flock susceptible to no stags for breeding, being guarded by no stags, or stags that have battle wounds which make them less than 100% which will in turn leave the flock to being wiped out completely.

A lot of different animals to that; even some fish and crustaceans. There does not need to be physical contact or competition over food for a dominant male to surpress development of a subordinate male. Then as soon as the dominant male is removed there is a race to see which subordinate male can develop into the next top dog.

Do you have any oaks? If so , are the liege or indo big enough to eat acorns? In our area , turkeys depend heavily on acorns for winter forage. My woods are predominantly oak ,and if I could get chickens that eat acorns, that'd be great!
I have seen my Liege eating acorns from time to time when free ranged. But more of the small acorns, and not as much the large ones.

Do you have any oaks? If so , are the liege or indo big enough to eat acorns? In our area , turkeys depend heavily on acorns for winter forage. My woods are predominantly oak ,and if I could get chickens that eat acorns, that'd be great!
Yes all of my chickens eat acorns. The average acorn size is about like a dime or smaller in diameter; water and live oaks. There are no white, turkey, or blackjack oaks on my property.

Back
Top Bottom