Development of Dewlap Toulouse Goslings

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi All

I know that many of you followed our incubation and hatching threads that we posted earlier in the year. Well many of those pictures were of our Dewlap Toulouse and from this years goslings we've been steadily assessing our youngsters.

Overall we're very pleased as we've also bred some young Ganders that are split for Buff from two different lines. However its the youngsters from our old Holderread gander that outshine the rest of the youngsters. All his goslings are very large and easily outclass the others even though they are from some very good lines. Next year we're hoping to line breed him back to his daughter to fix the type and size. I hope these pictures prove useful for others breeding Dewlaps and assessing their goslings' progress.

Pete
wink.png

80310_dewluxb.jpg

OUR 8 YEAR OLD HOLDERREAD GANDER - DEWLUX.

80310_2011_gander-duval1.jpg

DUVAL - A 2011 GOSLING LOOKING PROMISING AT 8 WEEKS.

80310_ganders_29-8-11.jpg

DUVAL AT 16 WEEKS (FOREGROUND) WITH 2 OTHER MALE GOSLINGS FROM DIFFERENT LINES!

80310_duval2_29-8-11.jpg

DUVAL AT 16 WEEKS AND SHOWING HUGE SIZE WITH VERY GOOD DEWLAP AND KEEL DEVELOPMENT.

Gorgeous boy Pete!! I will continue to follow this thread and see how he develops (and any more you post). I can't believe that at only 8 weeks he is as big as he is already! I'd like to see development at about 2-4-6 weeks as well.

I finally did it, after all my egg hatching woes this spring I sent in a deposit to Holderread's for 2 pairs of their top show quality Dewlap goslings. WOOHOO!!! Countdown for late spring starts NOW!!

Hi

Really pleased to hear that you've ordered your Holderread Dewlaps. You'll be really pleased with them and just wish I lived over in the States so I could get some more. Our Holderread Gander allows breeds youngsters that are large with the Holderread type and his genes seem to over-ride the females.

Very pleased with our young boy Duval and think he's going to develop into something special. however the Holderread line do seem to keep developing a lot longer than the English lines and dont peak until around 3 years old.

Like I said elsewhere we'll be pairing the old male to his largest 2011 daughter next year to line breed. As he'll be 9 years old next Spring I think we'll be pushing it
lol.png

Pete
wink.png

I wish I could find some REALLY nice Dewlap Toulouse here.. Most I have seen are not very nice.. they are ok, but far from what I would want.. Yours are awesome..

The goslings are looking wonderful! I love Dewlux and it looks like you have the next show guy up and coming in Duval! Seeing your geese this spring grow has made me put them on list of someday got-to-haves. Very cool!

Hi there

Thank you for the positive comments and all being well it does look like we got a good potential exhibition Dewlap in young Duval but he's still got quite a bit of developing to do
smile.png
We'll be quite sad when his father gets too old and we're having a last try this Spring to line breed to his 2011 daughter and a new Buff. He'll be 9 years old then and it's pushing it a bit for an older Dewlap Gander!

Hopefully that will then let us fix our own line based on Holderread size and type as there's no further chance of importing anymore into the UK
sad.png

Pete
wink.png

Why will UK no longer allow importation? I'm sure it has something to do with disease, but what exactly? I know there was a huge fiasco here not long back with some imported birds and sickness, but why won't they allow the normal health inspection, quarantine, vaccinations, etc. there? And is that no importation from ANYWHERE or just USA?

Im afraid the problems not with export or import into the UK. It's just Holderreads dont export to the UK anymore but I did ask them.

However, I am thinking of asking a friend to buy some (I'll be paying for them) and then when they breed importing the goslings
big_smile.png
It's early days but it might just work out ok.

Pete
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom