Development of Dewlap Toulouse Goslings

Hiya Pete! Once again, youve brought tears to my eyes with your gorgeous birds! I would just die to have some for my very own. I would break the bank to have some but my husband doesnt share my passion unfortunately. There is a trio of really nice buffs from Allison Grells line on here that Im begging my hubby to let me get. He's not being mean, he's just the only one working so it makes it hard. I have "Glenda's" (now Glen!) head shot as my avitar. He's developing nicely but none of my three are near as nice as yours. They have a lot of Holderread in their line but have a couple others as well. I did want to ask you, I know what to feed my birds, but Im always questioning how much to give them. I feel like Im giving them a lot but if it were up to them, theyd never stop eating!!!

Congrats on a successful hatching season Pete. Your goslings are proving to be exceptional. Maybe one day Ill be fortunate enough to have some from your line. Oh a girl can dream.

Blessings to you and yours!
Lisa

Hi Lisa

Lovely to hear from you again and many thanks for your positive comments which are always appreciated
smile.png

Glen seems to be developing fine and I rather like his head development and beak. All looks nicely in proportion and signs of dewlap development. With our Dewlaps goslings I keep them on a good quality Waterfowl Growers pellet and free graze. I've tried other brands but the one I use really appears appetising as they eat it readily. I keep them on this until late Autumn then switch to Waterfowl Maintenance pellets and grain over winter.

Young Dewlaps grow fast and tend to build most of their frame up to 6 months after that their appetites wane off and growth becomes slower. In the following year they mature and bulk up more. So, whilst they're actively growing I maximise this period with giving them ad-lib pellets and graze to promote good growth. This vital period is not the time to be rationing them so I wouldnt worry.

Such a pity you cant get the Buffs but understandable. The recession has hit hard over here too and people are nervous and careful with their money in uncertain times.

There's always more information and regular updates on our new website if you want to take a look
smile.png

http://oakgarthgeese.com

Regards

Pete
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind and comforting words Pete. Youre such a gentlemen and always so full of good sound advice. I actually went to your new site right after you posted here that you had it up and running. I tried to post a reply to give you the big thumbs up
thumbsup.gif
but my stinkin phone messed up and it didnt work. Ill go back and try again because I think its important for people here to know what a wealth of information you are, especially concerning the Dewlaps. I am excited for you and look forward to seeing the site grow.

So, Im confident Im feeding my birds the right food. They too get a quality waterfowl pelleted feed and all day free graze. Im still not sure about the amount however. I mean, do you feed yours so many cups per day or do you fill up automatic feeders and let them literally eat as much as they want? I dont mind doing that at all if its what you advise. It will however, make my job of putting them to bed at night a little harder as I kinda use food as a way to get them in there willingly.
gig.gif

They dont like being put up so much, but its for their safety. Also, do you ever give bread as a treat or is that really bad for them?

Thanks for everything Pete. Dont know if you realize it yet but Im kinda your biggest fan!
bow.gif
LOL I even have a picture of your geese as my background on my home computer! Dont worry, I would NEVER use it without your permission. I just keep it as kind of a reminder of what I want to achieve and the quality I strive for. I feel the same way about Cottage Rose's Sebastopols. Her birds are just to die for!

Blessings always!
Lisa

Hi Lisa

Yes, with the young birds still actively growing they have constant access to Growers Pellets and graze. I find when they come out in the morning the feed up on the pellets and then bathe before settling again. Then they seem to go off and eat the grass for a while but soon return for their pellets. Overall I would estimate they're eating about 70% pellets and 30% graze.

Going into their night quarters is not a problem and they just seem to follow a routine. I'd leave them out if I thought they were protected but we live in a forest known to have predators.

I have to confess I do give them a little bread and they love sponge cake etc
lol.png
I do tend to spoil them on an evening as a treat but its a time of good interaction and allows for closer assessment etc. Old Dewlux lives right next to the cottage and knows he gets all the kitchen scraps etc (which includes the cake, greens etc). He's especially fond of fruit scones
lol.png

I think you're doing everything right and its important to enjoy your birds
wink.png

I agree with you about Cottage Roses Sebastopols, they are gorgeous and she's bred a Lilac this year with lovely pastel colouring
droolin.gif

Pete
wink.png

Thanks Pete. I feel much better now. I will continue with my spoilling them rotten! I think Id feel guilty if I had to take their treats away. They know when Ive got a little extra something on me when I go out to visit and I get a kick out of how they hussle around trying to outeat each other! Oh what joy they bring to my life!

I know the exact bird of Cottage Roses that youre speaking of. Looks like you had a hand in determining that color for her as well. When I saw that pic, (although, as you know, genetics is way over my head. For now at least) I totally agreed with your assessment. She looks like a light buff with a wash of light silvery/ blue over the buff coloring. What a wonderful addition to her breeding program. It will be interesting to see what colors her offspring will be. Im guilty of visiting her site several times a week as well. Just like you, she is a wealth of information. Best thing for me is..... I can afford you both!
lau.gif

Have a wonderful day!
Lisa

Hi Lisa

Do you go onto Cottage Roses forum? (Sebastopol Geese Lovers). There's lots of information there and Im on it frequently under the same username
big_smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Those are some beautiful geese!! I just got a pair of gray Dewlap Toulouse locally, they are about 8 years old. They are exhibition quality and look like yours. Apparently Holderreads really wanted to buy this pair when the lady decided to sell, but she wanted them to go to a real home so they are mine now
ya.gif
I'm looking forward to their babies next Spring! I haven't taken pictures yet, I'll have to take some soon and post them.
smile.png
We also got some Dewlap Toulouse (to raise for meat for someone else) a couple of months ago but they are completely different, I can tell those are not very good bloodlines compared to the ones we just got!

Back
Top Bottom