development of opened "dead" chicks

lacylahman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Day 24, I opened all the dud eggs (15). 5 of them had what looked like formed chicks still in a sac and the yolk was still there. any idea what day that sounds like we lost them? I'm trying to isolate what might have been the cause of us losing them.

lacy

ps I think we are resorting getting some feed store chicks

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry to hear about your chicks not making it to hatch.
I know this might sound gross but if you could post a pic a lot of folks here will be able to tell you at which stage these little guys died.
Carolyn

what kind of bator were you using? temps at? humidty at? hand turned or alto turner? forced air or still air? type eggs? this would help on finding the problem. william

26059_dsc_0795.jpg

trying to see if this will work. It's a sad pic for those who might be squemish.

I have to say that I admire your guts!

I had a very low hatch rate this last time. The hatch before was 100% so I was baffled.

I considered cracking them open to see if I could learn why they didn't develop. I could not make myself do it. I even posted here to see what other folks would do.

Some crack out of curiosity but most said it wasn't worth it. I hope now that you took the plunge for us "chickens;)" that we can learn something!

Back
Top Bottom