Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

Stonecottagefarm - we never did get to see those chick pics. Would love to see them. I bet they're growing fast.

We have our first test eggs in the hatcher from our recross of our top lav roo back to select black orp hens. Unbelievable, but I had a really hard time to see if they were growing in there. The shells were really thick, so keeping my fingers crossed we get some peeps this weekend.
fl.gif

Just thought I'd share: I have a trio that I purchased as chicks almost 3 months ago that are from Jody's stock (local breeder here purchased eggs from you last year, and these are offspring of those birds, so I think those parents are 4th generation, if that's correct!) I LOVE these birds! They are in a coop I just finished that just happens to be next to my bedroom window, and the roo is starting to figure out crowing.. that's a nice wake up call
smile.png
I hope his tail shows up at some point soon.. is it normal for those feathers to sometimes take a while? I've had offers on them already but I refuse to sell them. I also have 1 black orp cockerel from you guys that is only about a month old right now, so I might use him down the line, once I research more on lavenders!

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3380.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing pics of them. I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying them. Yes, the rooster sickle feathers tend to come in slow, but I'm sure he'll get his beautiful tail soon.

I really enjoyed all your pics jody! I cant wait to see next years adults too! they are so stunning in color and type! how exciteing!

Thanks Jen! I am so excited to hear you are working on the project. Let me know if I can help you with anything. It looks like we have some real lookers in the next generation. They are growing out nicely and I can't wait until spring to keep things moving forward.

Here's a lavender boy we still have hanging around from our last generation. He's huge and has a great personality. He's keeping some white orp girls company while they're all in moult. The yellowing he obtained over the summer months is slowly going away. You can see the last bits on his head, which hasn't finished moulting out yet.

298065_252066574834520_165531833487995_680132_1126516724_n.jpg

307973_252066624834515_165531833487995_680133_1098523812_n.jpg

298194_252066668167844_165531833487995_680134_1441905562_n.jpg

While walking out to the coops yesterday I heard this weird screeching sort of crowing sound. Looked over at the Splits pen and seen the cockerel with his neck stretched almost to the clouds. Hoping for eggs soon as we have a light on them. Digital timer controls all teh breeding pens lighting.

Our 6 th gen will start to lay soon, they are split black this 6th gen so they will produce some 7th gen lavender orps,
also will be breeding a 6th gen pure lav roo from one of our different lines to some of the 6th gen split blacks hens... cant wait for some more Lil lav orp chicks in the brooders..

cant wait to see more like this, she was one from our last years 6th pure lav hatches which one of our friends got locally here, shes has a few of these girls.
478_321171_2607614316050_1425702061_3005854_1495183084_n.jpg

Last edited:
thanks,
thumbsup.gif
ours should start soon, we got the cuckoo eggs in the bator now and they will all be carrying the lav gen..they are basically 100% orp already..

mottled and lemon cuckoos are laying already but they are penned together at the moment, soon will move them to the breeder coops, eggs size has been attained.

our newest line of lavender araucana have been laying with wonderful blue eggs, but we're letting the egg size get a bit bigger before hatching any, still pullet size..

its gonna be a awesome new year..
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom