Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

Seen a lovely flock of wilds of Pa birds in Oklahoma Monday. sadly, the photo did not take. However we acquired a new young male from him to mate to our Splits. He has excellent type, just young. Will try to get a photo today and post of him.

Sadly, a few weeks ago we lost our original Lav/SB male. He orginated at Tuffoldhen's farm in WV. I think he was an F3 or F4 generation.

47716_self_blue_orp_male.jpg

ETA: Our new young male is a direct Hincjc Mountain from hatching eggs a few months ago. Not sure if they are a F5 or F6, but type was great in most of them. I got to pick from several amles and picked the best type.

Last edited:
Quote:
If this is a pic of the lavender from my god's little acre he must be a F2 or 3 as a cull I have given to someone. I did ship a bird once to someone south tho.

These are 2 from my early generations of Lavender. Nothing leaves here breathing since then.

000_0393.jpg

Quote:
You know I have a problem with these types of statements.
Release your culls and let others enjoy them as pets or work to improve the strain, they'll always be one or two steps behind your flock.

Quote:
You know I have a problem with these types of statements.
Release your culls and let others enjoy them as pets or work to improve the strain, they'll always be one or two steps behind your flock.

Sorry, that offends you but... I would rather eat my culls. Where I come from chickens are chickens in this part of the country not pets. Having someone have a good dinner of chicken and dumplings is more important to me than dressing one up in a diaper and calling it a pet.

Sorry, that offends you but... I would rather eat my culls. Where I come from chickens are chickens in this part of the country not pets. Having someone have a good dinner of chicken and dumplings is more important to me than dressing one up in a diaper and calling it a pet.

Amen to that...
cool.png
chicken dinners are good and esp when you know what you put it to them, because what you put into them goes into you..this also includes yout table eggs..

Some of The earlier generation were very lacking in orp looks in the beginning, which was to be expected, but that has all changed now for the most part, Will always be work to be done just as with any breed and its colors....
love.gif
frow.gif

Jim will have to check the records to see if and when you may have gotten any from us. haven't sold any in the past year (2011) do to our furthering of the lavender orpingtons and there gens​

Last edited:
Apologies to any one who is upset at the idea that people eat chickens, but it makes absolute sense to do so when you think of this: You give your culls to person A, who gives some of their offspring to person B. Person B ends up with some birds that didn't make the grade and suddenly shows up selling "YOURNAME CHICKENS" that are no where near the quality that you are breeding. Talk about giving a breeder a black eye.

Quote:
Exactly. I also believe that is why the so called pic of one from my flock was posted. "your name chickens" If indeed it was the one I sent south it was to someone else who stated he was using the color for another project. It was a cull and a toe or two were broken from him being under foot to me all the time if I remember correctly. He was told a cull and did not meet the standard for here at my "farm".

Quote:
Exactly. I also believe that is why the so called pic of one from my flock was posted. "your name chickens" If indeed it was the one I sent south it was to someone else who stated he was using the color for another project. It was a cull and a toe or two were broken from him being under foot to me all the time if I remember correctly. He was told a cull and did not meet the standard for here at my "farm".

Say what you will, but he was no cull. All toes were fine. He was obviously an earlier generation and my friend was told he was an F3. We did show him this fall at one 200 bird show and he was placed as BV. The judge said his type was fair and then placed his offspring as RB, BV and RV. They were Splits and I entered them as Blacks against their own mothers and grandsire. The grandsire was a Cecil Moore hatched Black Orpington.

With this new male, I plan on showing the Splits this fall as Blacks to see how they measure up. He would not stand still for the camera. Guess I will have to take a better photo when i have more help and less feed.

47716_sb_orp_f6.jpg

Quote:

Say what you will, but he was no cull. All toes were fine. He was obviously an earlier generation and my friend was told he was an F3. We did show him this fall at one 200 bird show and he was placed as BV. The judge said his type was fair and then placed his offspring as RB, BV and RV. They were Splits and I entered them as Blacks against their own mothers and grandsire. The grandsire was a Cecil Moore hatched Black Orpington.

With this new male, I plan on showing the Splits this fall as Blacks to see how they measure up. He would not stand still for the camera. Guess I will have to take a better photo when i have more help and less feed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47716_sb_orp_f6.jpg

He looks like he has a lot of leakage, but it may just be the picture and my screen.

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47716_sb_orp_f6.jpg

I guess you know my birds better than I do then. Must have been split/black and lavender culls I gave to someone around here and made it's way to you. Thanks for posting his picture, my how they have come along way since those days.

Back
Top Bottom