Devestation, i'm mad, heartbroken and i have given up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

Matejka

Free Ranging
I had a secure coop (I thought) 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around coop and run. Tuesday, my partner (he's 84) fell, bruised elbow cracked ribs on right side. We limped along till Friday, he is unable to get into/out of bed without help, pain meds-dizzy so I have to help him up/down to bathroom etc...
Friday, I left the birds in runb did not let them free range. 5:30 or so I help partner bathroom, change clothes, back to bed, stayed with him for about an hour til he is resting easy.
Go out to collect eggs, birds iwere fine @ 4 when I checked, now 7:15 and utter carnage. 6 girls and a cockerel. Run is destroyed, 2x2 chewed until it broke, hc
20200904_192819.jpg
20200904_192834.jpg
ripped out of screws. 1 dead 3 missing, 1 game pullet and rooster loose. No idea what got em. Almost dark, secure coop with pullet, rooster won't go near coop, he slept on table on back porch. Yesterday, plywood run holes. 5 p.m. I see dog with pink collar chasing rooster across yard. By time I get gun, dog is happily carrying rooster home (next door). Neighbors called, their out of town(also family) state they don't have a dog with pink collar-there's a stray that showed up and had puppies on their porch. Long rant, 1 chicken left and I give up. I won't try to have anything alive here. That dog WILL DIE- I'll shoot it, trap it poison it-whatever it takes. Neighbors stated shoot it I have permission. Don't dump your problem on someone else.

I am sorry to hear of this terrible thing that has happend to you, your partner and your flock.
All because of irresposible dog owners.
I understand your disapointment and grief.
However, IF the dog has a pink collar doesant that mean somebody is responsible for it? If that collar has tags, cant you then get compensation for the damage to your property and livestock?
If your neighbors gave the dog shelter on their porch and allowed it to stay and have its puppies. Then put a collar on it, is that not assuming responsibility?
If a strange dog shows up at my place and i dont want it, i call animal control right away.
I recomend calling the police, get the damage recorded, report the dog and let the animal control try to catch the dog and track the responsible owners.
I must add that for a dog to tear apart that coop like that, i doubt i would ever trust any construction like it, if later you decide to try chickens again.
Sound like you have a lot on your plate right now.
Again, i am so sorry this happened.

I am sorry to hear of this terrible thing that has happend to you, your partner and your flock.
All because of irresposible dog owners.
I understand your disapointment and grief.
However, IF the dog has a pink collar doesant that mean somebody is responsible for it? If that collar has tags, cant you then get compensation for the damage to your property and livestock?
If your neighbors gave the dog shelter on their porch and allowed it to stay and have its puppies. Then put a collar on it, is that not assuming responsibility?
If a strange dog shows up at my place and i dont want it, i call animal control right away.
I recomend calling the police, get the damage recorded, report the dog and let the animal control try to catch the dog and track the responsible owners.
I must add that for a dog to tear apart that coop like that, i doubt i would ever trust any construction like it, if later you decide to try chickens again.
Sound like you have a lot on your plate right now.
Again, i am so sorry this happened.
Thank You my thoughts exactly. The neighbor is close family (step son to my partner). I don't want police involved. If you fwedb waterb shelter a stray-your responsible for it-their reasoning (I guess) they didn't pick/acquire it, so it's not theirs . like I stated (emotions talking here) everything I care about dies. I cannot handle reconstructing my shattered heart again.

On re-reading your post see that the neighbors who gave sheter to the dog with puppies are also your (famly). Maybe you dont want to mke the pay (i would)
Also that they are away right now.
Does that mean that the dog now has puppes to feed and no one home to feed her?
Did she come to raid your coop because she is despirate to feed her pups?
Also in situations where there is no funded animal control, the police/sheriff office assume those responsibilities.

On re-reading your post see that the neighbors who gave sheter to the dog with puppies are also your (famly). Maybe you dont want to mke the pay (i would)
Also that they are away right now.
Does that mean that the dog now has puppes to feed and no one home to feed her?
Did she come to raid your coop because she is despirate to feed her pups?
Also in situations where there is no funded animal control, the police/sheriff office assume those responsibilities.
There is a grown son there to feed animals. They have the stray (looks like a pit heeler mix)a pit 3 little yappy dogs and the puppies and more. She came for a chicken dinner and came back again next day for rooster dinner. She'll be back today (I have 1 chicken left).

By time I get gun, dog is happily carrying rooster home (next door). Neighbors called, their out of town(also family) state they don't have a dog with pink collar-there's a stray that showed up and had puppies on their porch.

I am very sorry that this happened to your chickens and I can understand your thirst for revenge.

But please, think about the puppies that would be left to die if you really do what you proclaim. Maybe there is another way to deal with this dog and her offspring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom