Devistating FAIL... what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkies4penny, Dec 22, 2011.

1. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    I posted a couple days ago, and I wanted to update. I had 6 out of 12 shipped eggs make it to lockdown, I had one hatch, one internally pip and then die, and the rest never did anything. I had kept my humidity at 65-70% for the last three days of lockdown, so why did only one hatch? I looked inside the other eggs and one pipped internally and then died, they did look shrink wrapped a bit, but I thought my humidity was high enough. any ideas what happened?!

2. JoshDeere

JoshDeere Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2011
    what was the tempurature?

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer.

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Quote:how do you calibrate these? I probably need to do that myself, I have some eggs comming soon and dont want a mishap to take place

5. silkies4penny

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    it was set at 100. I had a digital that was reading 99 and a murcury one on the eggs reading 101. Have no idea how to calibrate. is there a link to it somewhere?

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Are you using a Little Giant still air styrofoam incubator?

7. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    What kind of incubator you have? Still air or fan? What was your humidity through incubation? I use a dry method; 35-40% humidity through incubation and 58-63% from day 18 to hatch. This works the best for me. Internal piping without hatching sounds like to high of humidity to me.

8. silkies4penny

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    I have the hovabator 1602N still air. I also did a dry incubation with my humidity at 40-50%. all had really good air cells. I only had one internally pip and the rest didnt even try. my humidity was reading at 65-70% for the last days, so I thought I was all good. It definitly looked like they were shrink wrapped once I looked at them but I dont know how thats possible when the humidity was that high... at least I got one...

9. silkies4penny

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    and how do I calibrate a digital thermometer and hydometer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by