Serama egg pipped on wrong side

ziggymoon

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I have a small batch of serama eggs that I ordered in my incubator and as I was removing my rotator to put them on lockdown this morning, I noticed a pip (this one is early) It looks like the shell is broken just a bit but the membrane looks to be intact. I quickly candled it as I assumed the egg rotator had damaged it since the pip is on the wrong side of the egg. When I candled it I clearly saw the air cell with no internal pip but can hear the chick chirping so I quickly put it back. I’m not sure what protocol is here, I don’t want the chick to suffocate. And save advice?

Attachments

• IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 74
Chick may be malpositioned, foot over head. Keep an eye on it, if it pipped I would give it time. I don't think it's going to suffocate. Give it a few hours, if you assist early you could create more problems.

Be patient as it is going to need the time of internal pip and external pip before it hatches. You said you can hear the chick. Is the beak where it has access to air such as a small hole in the membrane?

Be patient as it is going to need the time of internal pip and external pip before it hatches. You said you can hear the chick. Is the beak where it has access to air such as a small hole in the membrane?
Thank you, I’ve hatched a lot of eggs, but have never had this happen. It looks like it has made some progress, it is still chirping occasionally. From what I can tell, I do not see a beak or a puncture through the membrane yet. But again, it’s hard to tell at this angle and I don’t want to open the incubator and shrink wrap him. I’ve attached a photo of its progress. I’ve never seen an egg zip like this either. It looks like it’s trying to break out using the side of the shell that is facing down on the incubator.

Attachments

• IMG_1635.png
    IMG_1635.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
This happened to one of mine (coincidentally the first egg I'd ever hatched!) But she was okay just took about 31 hours from 'pip to zip' she is called pumpkin
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/moving-egg-with-crack-instead-of-pip-hatch-day.1570502/
The thread with what happens with mine
My chick made some progress but ultimately, after 34 hours he had stalled and I noticed he was still upside down and trying to kick his way out, all while chirping like crazy, so I took him out at that point and the membrane around him had completely dried up since he had been in there so long, so I just popped him out. He’s right as rain now!

My chick made some progress but ultimately, after 34 hours he had stalled and I noticed he was still upside down and trying to kick his way out, all while chirping like crazy, so I took him out at that point and the membrane around him had completely dried up since he had been in there so long, so I just popped him out. He’s right as rain now!

Update pictures please :love

Back
Top Bottom