Devon Blue?

yellowputty

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Exeter, UK
Hi everyone. I was hoping that you knowledgeable people might help me figure out what is going on with our hens.

My wife and I recently took on four pullets from a local farm. We have a White Leghorn (White Eggs), Gold Speckledy (Brown Eggs), Speckledy Maran (Brown Eggs with speckles) and a Devon Blue (Blue-Green eggs). We chose the Devon Blue because we were told it lays Blue-Green eggs, which seemed quite unusual. However, on at least three occasions in the last week or two, we have found four eggs - one white and three brown!

The eggs are always laid in the same nest box and the box is covered at night to stop them sleeping and messing in them. Thus I know for sure that I haven't missed any eggs, or that I'm counting one from a previous day etc. So there seems to be two possible solution:

1) The Gold Speckledy or Speckledy Maran is laying twice a day on multiple occasions (in some cases within a few hours)
2) The Devon Blue is not a Devon Blue!

Here is a picture of our Devon Blue:

20190526_074049.jpg

I believe she is as was described, but I know you lot are far more knowledgeable.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Devon Blues are a hybrid, created from a Cream Legbar and a brown layer (not sure what breed). She looks like the pictures I’ve seen of them. I wouldn’t doubt she could be laying brown eggs, it does happen with these types of mixes. Durham Hens got quite a few complaints last year from buyers of their “Columbine” blue layer hybrid, as they weren’t laying blue eggs. That’s one of the reasons I’m hatching my own Cream Legbars, I don’t want to pay £25 for a blue laying hybrid that might only lay brown eggs, when I can buy eggs and raise several pullets to P.O.L with that.

Devon Blues are a hybrid, created from a Cream Legbar and a brown layer (not sure what breed). She looks like the pictures I’ve seen of them. I wouldn’t doubt she could be laying brown eggs, it does happen with these types of mixes. Durham Hens got quite a few complaints last year from buyers of their “Columbine” blue layer hybrid, as they weren’t laying blue eggs. That’s one of the reasons I’m hatching my own Cream Legbars, I don’t want to pay £25 for a blue laying hybrid that might only lay brown eggs, when I can buy eggs and raise several pullets to P.O.L with that.

Thanks featheredplanets. I didn't know that hybrids could end up laying the wrong colours eggs. Interesting as her lobes are a white colour.

Back
Top Bottom