Dewey jumping out of pool?

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Dewey loves swimming. Would flap her wings all around and dive under the water. Yesterday and today, she is jumping out of the pool as soon as we put her in it. Not sure if we should be concerned, or if it’s because the weather isn’t as warm the past 2 days.

Did she get in by herself? Sounds like she just wasn't ready to have a bath.
no, we always put her in. We don’t have a ramp yet for her to get in and out of the pool, so every morning and night we put her in the pool and she would just swim around and love it, so we are confused

How old is Dewey? Is she starting a molt?? if she is, she might just be mad at you for touching her because it hurts when they’re molting it hurts more to be picked up so if she’s mad, she just freak out and jump out I just thought it might be a possibility.

She is about 4 months old
How old is Dewey? Is she starting a molt?? if she is, she might just be mad at you for touching her because it hurts when they’re molting it hurts more to be picked up so if she’s mad, she just freak out and jump out I just thought it might be a possibility.

Then yes she should be molting her first molt now.
Edit to add; do you see any feathers on the ground?
oh really? I didn’t know they molt for the first time that early? 🤔 that’s good to know! I mean there is always feathers on the ground when she preens herself. But not like an alarming amount? Do you mean the fluff? Or the full solid feather?

oh really? I didn’t know they molt for the first time that early? 🤔 that’s good to know! I mean there is always feathers on the ground when she preens herself. But not like an alarming amount? Do you mean the fluff? Or the full solid feather?
The Juvenile molt is the first molt experienced by the ducks at the age of 10 to 12 weeks

well both really, feathers and fluff :)
try to get her ramp finished so she can go in and out of pool by herself
you can also try putting her in at a different time of day and see if she stays in a while

Thank you all, we just thought it was weird, because she was always okay with us putting her in the pool all the time. So we started getting nervous

Back
Top Bottom