Dewing what does it mean??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stormylady, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I was going to order my chicks and it listed some services and Dewing was one of them? also Debeaking, Dub , and of course vaccinations . Just don't know what Dewing is .what is it and what Purpose does it serve, please help me. Thanks

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It's the removing of the wing bone to prevent flight.

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    OMG are you serious! Well I don't want that! thanks I never would have guessed, I was thinking maybe something to do with the spurs, Sounds aweful! Is it a common practice? thanks

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    De-wing [​IMG]

5. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I wondered what that was... It sounds awful! I thought maybe it was doing something like giving it something to prevent it from getting sick... UGGG

6. Edwards' East of Eden

Edwards' East of Eden Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Biloxi, MS
    Oh, wow, warden, thank you for putting that hyphen in there! I kept reading and trying to figure out what doing that could possibly have to do with dampness on grass in the morning. My pronounciation was way off, and it never even occurred to me to ... People do this? On purpose?

I'd like to de-wing the people at that hatchery. With a hatchet, maybe. What kind of hatchery would even offer such a thing? Think they woul maybe ship you the feet separately, so they're not as mich trouble to clean after slaughter?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  7. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG why or for what reason would anyone want a chicken to be de-winged? Just curious......That is barbaric......

8. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    Maybe it is just me, but I would not give my business to a company that de-wings chickens.

This is just more de-animalizing of animals. Instead of managing the animals in a way that they can function as what they are, let's remove their beaks and combs and wattles and wings so that we can treat them like machinery. This is a big part of why I got chickens again. I really do not need another group of critters to care for, but I like eggs and I don't like the way most layers are kept.

9. SanctusPullus

SanctusPullus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    My Coop
    Quote:Well said.

10. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    im sorry but bit thick they actually take the wings/bones out?

i though if you wanted them not to fly you could "clip" a feather ? i have neaver donethis and new to chickens so ima little confused by the idea of taking away the wings thats sort ofin my opinion taking of a leg or an arm !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by