Dewlap Toulouse and Size

kristen2678

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
North Berwick Maine
I have a pair of Dewlap Toulouse from Holderread. They are just 16 weeks old. The gander is massive. He's just huge with a giant dewlap already. The goose is much smaller. Still a big bird but at least 25% smaller than the gander. She has a dewlap but nothing overly pendulous. Is she undersized, or do the females develop slower than the males? I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures. Thanks.

Hi and congratulations as Im sure you'll be thrilled with your pair as they get better each year.

Your description sounds right for minor differences between the sexes at this young age. Usually there is a slight size difference and ganders are the most impressive birds. However we did breed a very large female last year who I thought was a male until she laid eggs which just shows there can be variation
wink.png

X2 with Pete. I have 10 grey dewlap juveniles. Overall, the girls are smaller and their dewlaps are not developing as fast, but I have at least one girl that is as big as the boys in size and dewlap. I have a 2nd one that I swore was a boy, but my vet just vent sexed the gosling and thinks it is a girl. I expect I will be waiting until next spring to find out the true gender of that one.

Thanks Pete. They are really wonderful. I'm enjoying them! They are just beautiful birds. They still have a few more feathers to come in but they are in great condition.

Question for you. I have ducks and chickens of the same age (16 weeks). I'll be switching them to layer feed soon. I know the geese wont need it until spring, but is it harmful ? Everyone ranges together and the geese raid the chicken feeders. I haven't found a flock raiser I like. I find the "out put" quantity and "quality" to be inferior when comparing Purina's Flock raiser to Blue Seal Feeds.

Thanks again.

Thanks Pete. They are really wonderful. I'm enjoying them! They are just beautiful birds. They still have a few more feathers to come in but they are in great condition.

Question for you. I have ducks and chickens of the same age (16 weeks). I'll be switching them to layer feed soon. I know the geese wont need it until spring, but is it harmful ? Everyone ranges together and the geese raid the chicken feeders. I haven't found a flock raiser I like. I find the "out put" quantity and "quality" to be inferior when comparing Purina's Flock raiser to Blue Seal Feeds.

Thanks again.
Sorry to but in, does Blue Seal not make an all flock feed?

Kristen, My dewlaps are just 1 week older, and they are both girls. They have had dewlaps for quite some time, but they are from lines that are the best in the country. Maybe that is why.
_MG_5131.jpg
Close up showing their dewlaps
_MG_5134.jpg
They are hefty little girls. I was told by the breeder that you want them to grow slower. They turn out better that way. Mine haven't seemed to get much bigger since their 13th week. They are just filling out now.

Hi Aoxa,

My girls look very much like yours, but gray. It must be the gander throwing me off. He's absolutely huge. They are from Holderread, so I expect decent quality as well. I'll see what I can do about taking some good pictures.

Just breeder or grower from BlueSeal.

Well, my camera is broken so I'm using an iphone. Not the best footage, but you get the idea. I wish she wasn't expending her neck so much but here's a minute of the geese. The ducks are constantly in the way! Gander is first.

Back
Top Bottom