Deworm for puppies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McCord6, Nov 5, 2009.

1. I was just curious, maybe to try it myself. The 8 puppies we have are about ready to go to new homes but I want to get them all dewormed first and something came across my mind. Is there a "HOME REMEDY" for deworming puppies? Instead of getting the liquid yucks from the pet store? Mama has been dewormed while pregnant and she has been tested NEGETIVE for worms but that doesn't mean the pups dont need to get their de-worming. So... Is there something around a common home that works for de-worming puppies?

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Nope. You really have to go with the meds on this one.

3. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Safeguard is a great dewormer I use on my puppies__takes care of wide variety. For dogs it comes in powder packets that you give in food 3 days in a row.

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I've heard all kinds of deworming remedies.. Cigarettes, pumpkin seeds, wormwood... When it comes to worms, though, I'm in the modern medicine camp. The way I look at it's like this.....if I had worms, I don't think I'd be saying "No, no...I don't want the benzimidazole...gimme some wormwood to knaw on and a bag of wet pumpkin seeds." [​IMG]

There's another thread about deworming dogs just above this one (for now, anyway [​IMG] ). I'd suggest just what the OP there is asking about, which is what/how to use livestock dewormers on dogs.. What I suggested there was to buy a 100ml bottle of Safe Guard 10% goat dewormer for $18 from TSC and dose it at 1ml/5lbs x 3 days.

If your pups are little, you're talking about treating them all and having plenty of wormer to spare. Before I was familiar with the different wormers, I can remember paying good money for little syringes of white stuff to shoot down dogs' throats, and any white wormer is going to be in the benzimidazole family.. Same stuff. Coulda saved myself a lot of $$$, had I known.

Maybe this isn't really what you're asking, but...I dunno, I guess I just sorta saw it as an alternative to paying big $$$ for "canine" dewormers.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When it came time to worm our pup, we used the same thing that the breeder used (and our vet would have used), Nemex 2. It cost us $13 at the farmer's co-op and the bottle will last a good long while.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by