Deworm or Not to Deworm

Anyone who thinks their birds have not had worms or external parasites must be raising them in total isolation from nature. Worms are in the very soil that chickens scratch in and pick up food from. Wild birds carry mites and lice into your pens and free range areas which then get carried back to the coop. If you have chickens that are allowed to behave like chickens you will have parasites. By the time you see signs of an infestation they are usually pretty bad. You may have a bird that simply you find dead and, while parasites may not have been the "cause" of death, they may have been a contributing factor you didn't know was there. Some birds will do a better job of keeping them at bay while others may not. Times of stress (onset of winter, crowding, new birds in the flock, aggressive rooster, etc) can cause them to multiply at a much greater rate and have a much bigger impact on your girls. And while pumpkin seeds may help a healthy bird resist parasites, they will not get rid of an infestation. That requires treatment with a parasiticide. You can reduce resistance by rotating what product you use. In my opinion, routine treatment (I do twice a year))is the way to go to keep my girls free of parasites.

Seeing this topic is all over the board, I will give my input. My best statement is, I never, but constantly deworm my chickens. To clarify, from day one I have added a small amount of apple cider vinegar to their water system and have never needed to deworm my chickens. From my research ACV is supposed to raise the ph in their body just enough that parasites and such can not exist, I don't add enough that it cause any harm to the chickens. ACV also prevents algae growth in their water system and it is supposed to aid with lice and mite control. I can't really elaborate on that aspect, except to say I have not had a problem with either one in 2 years. I did post a thread about a month ago (with photos) on how to build a waterer that allows me to control the water to vinegar ratio and only has to be refilled every month and half to two months.

Truth be known about Birds and internal Parasites is they carry them although if kept clean and managed correctly Birds do not suffer over loads...Same can be said with external parasites..Chickens are Dirty but can be kept healthy ...I have never treated a Bird. Ever.....

Back
Top Bottom