Deworm with Rumatel (Morantel Tartrate) Dumor Goat Dewormer?

Getting drug approvals must be done for each species and use, and is expensive. Again, small flock use is a small market, or at least has been, and so research funding is limited, at least so far.
Mary

Has anyone except me ever used DuMor Goat Dewormer on their chickens? I tried it first in my stag pen with my roosters, and it seemed to work so well that I thought I'd try it on a couple of my ladies who showed signs of worms. Apparently there is no withdrawl period for goats--any suggestions about chickens? I have the ladies separated and I am not eating their eggs, but I was wondering whether others have tried this remedy, and how it worked for them? The nice thing is that they are pellets that the flock gobbles up, just like their own pellets. It's quite simple to get them to eat it (unlike some of the other remedies). Of course it's hard to tell who ate how much, but it's also supposed to be hard to exceed the recommended dosage. Thoughts? Thanks!
How much did you feed them?

How much did you feed them?
Welcome To BYC

Do you need help with deworming your Chickens?

I would recommend that you use either Fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) or Albendazole (Valbazen) to treat your chickens. Either one will take care of most worms that poultry have except for Tapeworm which will require Praziquantel.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Here's how to administer medications orally. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

It's interesting you say that. Many people I know use all sorts of dewormers that are made for animals other than hens. In the case of the DuMor, I wonder why, if there is no withdrawal period at all even for goat's milk, we would worry that there might be residual effects in eggs. I guess it could be an issue, but it seems that if it's not going to affect milk even the day it was ingested, it should not affect eggs. But it is certainly true that it might not be worth the risk. I intended to wait the two weeks that is suggested for most medications. I hope that suffices....
But there IS withdrawal of goat MEAT, meaning it accumulates in the tissues. I'd say don't eat the eggs as it can accumulate in the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom