Dewormed... still not laying?

lparks15

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
Two of my three laying hens suddenly stopped laying a little over two weeks ago (before that they were laying great). Their behavior didn't change much except they were very quiet, and I noticed they seemed skinny. Last Wednesday, I dewormed them with Ivermectin paste. They seemed to feel much better the day after (and worms came out in their poop overnight), and they have started acting normally again (and being loud!). It is now Monday (the 5th day after deworming) and they still haven't started laying again. They are loud and really seem to feel fine (although they still feel skinny). As far as I know, they're eating and drinking good. I will try to keep a closer eye on that. At their previous home, a rooster plucked some feathers, and I've noticed they are growing some back. Is it normal for them to still not be laying eggs? What else could be wrong with them? I am giving them another dose of dewormer on Saturday to complete the treatment. Also, should I do something to help them put the weight back on? More protein, maybe?

Two of my three laying hens suddenly stopped laying a little over two weeks ago (before that they were laying great). Their behavior didn't change much except they were very quiet, and I noticed they seemed skinny. Last Wednesday, I dewormed them with Ivermectin paste. They seemed to feel much better the day after (and worms came out in their poop overnight), and they have started acting normally again (and being loud!). It is now Monday (the 5th day after deworming) and they still haven't started laying again. They are loud and really seem to feel fine (although they still feel skinny). As far as I know, they're eating and drinking good. I will try to keep a closer eye on that. At their previous home, a rooster plucked some feathers, and I've noticed they are growing some back. Is it normal for them to still not be laying eggs? What else could be wrong with them? I am giving them another dose of dewormer on Saturday to complete the treatment. Also, should I do something to help them put the weight back on? More protein, maybe?
How long have you had them?
What are you feeding?
Where are you located in the world?

Can you post some photos of the hens and their poop?
What type of worms did you see?

In your other thread you mentioned you "gave them a bit" of Ivermectin paste - see this link for correct dosing https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

How long have you had them?
What are you feeding?
Where are you located in the world?

Can you post some photos of the hens and their poop?
What type of worms did you see?

In your other thread you mentioned you "gave them a bit" of Ivermectin paste - see this link for correct dosing https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

I have had them a little over a month. I am feeding them layer pellets. I am in western KY. Attached is a photo of my hens, and a photo of their poop the morning after given the wormer. You can see roundworms in the photo.

When worming them, one chicken ate a piece of bread with the divided amount of wormer on it, but to get the others to eat it, I had to dip a mealworm in the wormer and give it to them that way. I have seen on several threads to give them a pea sized amount, which is what I did, maybe a little less.

Attachments

• IMG_7621.jpg
    IMG_7621.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7640.jpg
    IMG_7640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
I have had them a little over a month. I am feeding them layer pellets. I am in western KY. Attached is a photo of my hens, and a photo of their poop the morning after given the wormer. You can see roundworms in the photo.

When worming them, one chicken ate a piece of bread with the divided amount of wormer on it, but to get the others to eat it, I had to dip a mealworm in the wormer and give it to them that way. I have seen on several threads to give them a pea sized amount, which is what I did, maybe a little less.
You mention 2 of the 3 are not laying would that be the BO's? The SS(?) look quite young.
The weather is fairly warm, if they've had worms, etc. then this can cause a disruption in egg laying.
Give them some time and see what happens.

I would stick with measuring the medication as suggested in this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544

You mention 2 of the 3 are not laying would that be the BO's? The SS(?) look quite young.
The weather is fairly warm, if they've had worms, etc. then this can cause a disruption in egg laying.
Give them some time and see what happens.

I would stick with measuring the medication as suggested in this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/page-2#post-19965544
Yes! The speckled sussex have not started laying yet.

I will measure it next time. Thanks.

What ended up happening? I’m in the same boat. Only my hen is a three year old marans and I’m in the hot summer of NC currently. We are on dayfive after Deworming.

What ended up happening? I’m in the same boat. Only my hen is a three year old marans and I’m in the hot summer of NC currently. We are on dayfive after Deworming.
The OP has not been on since 2020 so likely they will not see your post.

I don't see a thread for you, so if you'll describe the symptoms along with photos of the hen and her poop, we may be able to offer some suggestions.

What are you deworming with and dose?

The OP has not been on since 2020 so likely they will not see your post.

I don't see a thread for you, so if you'll describe the symptoms along with photos of the hen and her poop, we may be able to offer some suggestions.

What are you deworming with and dose?
I literally have the same situation as above. Not quite so many roundworms in the poop as the op’s photo but my hen is not laying (otherwise seems fine although I notice maybe a tad bit of paleness to the tip of her comb and she seems winded easily) she has been passing worms since the smaller than pea sized dose of ivermectin. It’s been four days. I’ve had her about two weeks. I was hoping to see if OPs hen started up laying or not and how long it took. Note: I see your above comments about proper dosing and intend to administer a proper dose in the future. I was unable to find any info about dosage before but have bookmarked now. Thank you.

I literally have the same situation as above. Not quite so many roundworms in the poop as the op’s photo but my hen is not laying (otherwise seems fine although I notice maybe a tad bit of paleness to the tip of her comb and she seems winded easily) she has been passing worms since the smaller than pea sized dose of ivermectin. It’s been four days. I’ve had her about two weeks. I was hoping to see if OPs hen started up laying or not and how long it took. Note: I see your above comments about proper dosing and intend to administer a proper dose in the future. I was unable to find any info about dosage before but have bookmarked now. Thank you.
If you are seeing roundworms, then I would suggest that you get Fenbendazole (Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer) and treat her. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

If you've only had her 2 weeks, then stress of adjusting to a new home could be a contributing factor for not laying eggs too.

Hopefully you have her quarantined so you can observe her for any other symptoms of illness and can get the worms taken care of.

If you are seeing roundworms, then I would suggest that you get Fenbendazole (Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer) and treat her. Dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

If you've only had her 2 weeks, then stress of adjusting to a new home could be a contributing factor for not laying eggs too.

Hopefully you have her quarantined so you can observe her for any other symptoms of illness and can get the worms taken care of.
Thank you so much Wyorp Rock!

Back
Top Bottom