Dewormer info please.

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Ameraucana Enthusiast💜
Premium Feather Member
Jul 30, 2020
Place < Texas
So I have some questions on dewormer, I've never dewormed and any info is greatly appreciated.
How often should I deworm?
Should I only deworm if I know they have them?
If I should deworm them even when I'm not positive they have them, what should I deworm for?
What are recommended wormers?
Besides worms in poop, what should I look for?
What are the most common type of worm?

Thanks in advance!

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
I deworm only when I suspect there's a problem. Worming them constantly actually allows the parasites to build up a resistance to the medication as only immune parasites survive, breeding with other immune parasites and producing immune offspring. This has become a problem in farming situations, so it's best to only do it if you think it's necessary, or perhaps once a year in autumn. Rotating through different worming medications is also another way of preventing resistance.

I've wormed mine twice in the 5 years that I've kept chickens and the second time was only because I suspected gape worm, but turns out it was some sort of respiratory irritation, but the vet said it must be environmental, rather than a disease as my little hen was happy and healthy in every other way.

Chickens can tolerate a certain parasite burden just fine, as long as they are healthy.

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Ameraucana Enthusiast💜
Premium Feather Member
Jul 30, 2020
Place < Texas
How old are your chickens?
Do they free range?
Are they laying well?
Most are ~8-9 months. 3 of 8 are laying, and pretty much daily. They don't free range most of the day, but I do let them out supervised periodically through out the day.

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Are there certain things I should be looking for besides worms in poop?
It would be best to gather fresh fecal samples and put them in a ziplock bag. Then take them to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope for worm eggs. They'll let you know if your birds have worms and what type. It shouldnt cost much.
Large roundworms are the most common poultry worm.

Saaniya

Crowing
Aug 31, 2017
New Delhi India
So I have some questions on dewormer, I've never dewormed and any info is greatly appreciated.
How often should I deworm?
Should I only deworm if I know they have them?
If I should deworm them even when I'm not positive they have them, what should I deworm for?
What are recommended wormers?
Besides worms in poop, what should I look for?
What are the most common type of worm?

Thanks in advance!

I always have faith on Albendazole suspension

Top Bottom