Dewormer info please.

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
So I have some questions on dewormer, I've never dewormed and any info is greatly appreciated.
How often should I deworm?
Should I only deworm if I know they have them?
If I should deworm them even when I'm not positive they have them, what should I deworm for?
What are recommended wormers?
Besides worms in poop, what should I look for?
What are the most common type of worm?

Thanks in advance!

I deworm only when I suspect there's a problem. Worming them constantly actually allows the parasites to build up a resistance to the medication as only immune parasites survive, breeding with other immune parasites and producing immune offspring. This has become a problem in farming situations, so it's best to only do it if you think it's necessary, or perhaps once a year in autumn. Rotating through different worming medications is also another way of preventing resistance.

I've wormed mine twice in the 5 years that I've kept chickens and the second time was only because I suspected gape worm, but turns out it was some sort of respiratory irritation, but the vet said it must be environmental, rather than a disease as my little hen was happy and healthy in every other way.

Chickens can tolerate a certain parasite burden just fine, as long as they are healthy.

How old are your chickens?
Do they free range?
Are they laying well?
Most are ~8-9 months. 3 of 8 are laying, and pretty much daily. They don't free range most of the day, but I do let them out supervised periodically through out the day.

Are there certain things I should be looking for besides worms in poop?
It would be best to gather fresh fecal samples and put them in a ziplock bag. Then take them to a vet and have them look at it under a microscope for worm eggs. They'll let you know if your birds have worms and what type. It shouldnt cost much.
Large roundworms are the most common poultry worm.

So I have some questions on dewormer, I've never dewormed and any info is greatly appreciated.
How often should I deworm?
Should I only deworm if I know they have them?
If I should deworm them even when I'm not positive they have them, what should I deworm for?
What are recommended wormers?
Besides worms in poop, what should I look for?
What are the most common type of worm?

Thanks in advance!

I always have faith on Albendazole suspension

Back
Top Bottom