Dewormer

PuraStar

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I thought I saw a page on deworming here but can’t find it. At what age can you give peachicks dewormer? And safeguard for goats is what one would use?
i found a round worm in the big ones poo this morning, when I bought them they were housed on the ground with chickens, geese, and ducks.
thank you!

Safeguard (fenbendazole) for goats is a very good choice as long as it is administered correctly. I prefer Valbazen (albendazole) as it is water-soluble but if oral dosing or mixing in feed SG is great.
IMG_3437.JPG

Awesome, I’ll be heading out to grab it. When giving orally just a small syringe and put it up to their mouth with out mixing with anything? i have not seen the youngest (roughly two weeks old) have worms should I also give it to him/her just to be safe or just wait? You are the best KsKingBee! If I could I would give you a tip for all your help

To administer properly you should weigh the bird and do the math for the proper amount of SG to give per body weight. That being said it is hard to overdose with SG. I take it you have a current year hatch chick? It must be six to eight weeks of age or older to be pooping out worms. A crop needle that fits onto a syringe is the safest way to oral dose as it gets the meds beyond the trachea. If you have a 3ml syringe you can get it past and down the esophagus. The hole in the middle is the trachea and nothing should ever go down that but air.

(S)he is about 5-6 weeks old now, (where I got them the women said it was about a month old, but I had a feeling she didn’t know much about peafowl even though she owned them) I don’t have the exact hatch date. I did weigh it and it weighs 177g/6.24 oz.
I did the math from there and tried to oral but couldn’t keep the beak open enough so I mixed with some food once it was soaked up I gave it to it and it ate it all up.
I suppose I should have gotten a picture of the stool, it was that gray brown color but a lot more liquid and a thin line of white. (I’ll look through the normal/abnormal poop thread and see if I can find some that look similar)
(S)he is doing well tonight, I cleaned out my brooder and got some new wood chips in it for them and slept all afternoon. It gets hot her in Southern AZ so they like to sleep it off I noticed.

Attachments

• 1540D6E5-EBFC-4118-848D-688A2FB16DF3.jpeg
    1540D6E5-EBFC-4118-848D-688A2FB16DF3.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 199E2FA7-8C39-40E2-965A-AE32BED9C62C.jpeg
    199E2FA7-8C39-40E2-965A-AE32BED9C62C.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 4
  • C553125E-B92A-4C89-A8D1-AD5838784700.jpeg
    C553125E-B92A-4C89-A8D1-AD5838784700.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It was like this with the little worm in it. Not huge. This is from the abnormal/normal poop from Catportpony (don’t want to steal anyone’s poo pics haha 😝)

Attachments

• C8EED7A4-A316-405D-AAE9-5C21673A3A33.jpeg
    C8EED7A4-A316-405D-AAE9-5C21673A3A33.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 10
In the food is a great way to administer as long as they eat it all. Bravo. Poor chick must have ate a worm egg the day it hatched. It is rare a chick that young expells a roundworm.
Just glad I caught it, 🤗 it was small enough if I wasn’t paying attention I wouldn’t have seen it. Thank you again for your help!

Can I jump in here since its the same general topic? If not kick me out and I'll start a new thread instead.

I have approximately 3 week old chicks and when I wasn't home today a friend was at my house and accidentally let my peachicks outside. (I know... ugh). He caught them and they're back inside safe but they were on bare ground where I have chickens and turkeys. Do I need to deworm? I wasn't planning on letting them touch bare ground for a long time yet...

Back
Top Bottom