Deworming a sick chicken with wry neck

How much does he weigh?
Albendazole dose is 20 mg/kg. Example: If he were 6 lbs, that would be 2.72 kg, at 20 mg/kg the correct dose would be 54.4 mg of albendazole (2.72 x 20 mg). Your product contains 25 mg of albendazole per ml. 54.4 mg divided 25 mg = 2.176 ml, and I'd round that up to 2.2. So correct dose of your product would be 2.2 ml. Hope that makes sense (and everyone feel free to check my math!)
Some of his scales are lifted, and some look like their might be some crust under them. It won't hurt to oil up his legs good and then apply petroleum jelly over them a few times a week. If there are mites, that will smother them.

How much does he weigh?
Albendazole dose is 20 mg/kg. Example: If he were 6 lbs, that would be 2.72 kg, at 20 mg/kg the correct dose would be 54.4 mg of albendazole (2.72 x 20 mg). Your product contains 25 mg of albendazole per ml. 54.4 mg divided 25 mg = 2.176 ml, and I'd round that up to 2.2. So correct dose of your product would be 2.2 ml. Hope that makes sense (and everyone feel free to check my math!)
Some of his scales are lifted, and some look like their might be some crust under them. It won't hurt to oil up his legs good and then apply petroleum jelly over them a few times a week. If there are mites, that will smother them.
Hi! He weighs 3.5 kgs and the albendazole pack reads 5 mg per kg so I'm very confused.. is that too less?
I cleaned his legs with soap and water again today and applied Vaseline. I'll apply oil as well tomorrow after clean up. Is coconut oil okay or is mustard oil better?

Chickens get higher doses of most medications because they metabolize things faster.
The instructions on your package are for cattle. Follow the dosage provided by Coach723 in post 12.
Just did the calculation according to his weight. Please let me know if it is alright or if it's too much to give in one go.

3.5 kg x 20 mg / 25 mg = 2.8 ml

Also, the links that you shared mention that it should be repeated after 10 days. In case of gapeworms they say to give for 3 consecutive days, but Im doubting if it's gapeworm at all so should I repeat after 10 days?

I will let @coach723 and you discuss dosages but albendazole is only given once and in 10 days for all types of worms, except that it does not treat tapeworms well. You may be thinking of fenbendazole that is given for 3-5 days depending on which type worms.

Wanted to add, that is a fairly large volume to dose, so draw up your dose, and give it no more than .5 ml at a time and let him swallow in between, until the entire dose is given. To minimize the chance he aspirates any. And don't squirt it forcefully into his beak.

Wanted to add, that is a fairly large volume to dose, so draw up your dose, and give it no more than .5 ml at a time and let him swallow in between, until the entire dose is given. To minimize the chance he aspirates any. And don't squirt it forcefully into his beak.
Yes, of course! I have been terrified of him aspirating since one of his antibiotics went in wrong so I've been offering him vitamins and all mixed in water only. Generally, I give him doses in 0.2 ml through dropper and will do the same. These days it anyway takes me more than an hour to feed him one meal because he gets so tired, so will take my time and make him have the dose very slowly!

Back
Top Bottom