Deworming a sick chicken with wry neck

Wanted to add, that is a fairly large volume to dose, so draw up your dose, and give it no more than .5 ml at a time and let him swallow in between, until the entire dose is given. To minimize the chance he aspirates any. And don't squirt it forcefully into his beak.
I have a question.. how much food should be in his crop for him to safely have the 2.8 ml dose? Right now he is able to fill his crop until it has a small ball shape. Earlier he could eat twice that much easily, but right now his appetite has reduced and he also takes longer to eat. I dont mind spending time to make him eat more if needed.

The medication doesn't have to be given with food. I usually worm my birds first thing in the morning before they've had food or water. That way the first thing that gets to the worms is the medication. If worms are his issue, then hopefully if he starts feeling better, he will start eating better on his own.

The medication doesn't have to be given with food. I usually worm my birds first thing in the morning before they've had food or water. That way the first thing that gets to the worms is the medication. If worms are his issue, then hopefully if he starts feeling better, he will start eating better on his own.
Oh I see! I really really hope it works and even if not, well he is due for deworming anyway!
I have no idea what his issue is.. he has wry neck & his head droops to the floor. His legs are so weak that he only stumbles backwards and can barely walk to his bed. I did apply coconut oil to his feet today and then vaseline like you suggested and will keep doing that daily. I wish I had a vet who could simply see him, but no one in my area is willing to check on chickens :(

I gave Brownie the medicine! But he only had 1 ml of the dewormer before he simply refused to have any more. I gave 0.2 ml doses and by the 5th dose he was getting so stressed out, I had to stop. It's very warm here as well so he was panting and I got worried. Don't want to push him since he's already so weak.

Back
Top Bottom