Deworming and hatching?

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
I dewormed my chickens a few days ago. They layed some eggs, and because I cannot eat them, is it okay if I incubate them? Will there be harm?

Does anyone know why you cannot eat the eggs? Is it because of chemicals?

From what I understand it's because some people can be sensitive or have reactions to the worming meds. There are probably trace amounts in the eggs, more for some worming agents, less for others. Plenty of people eat them after worming, especially with the "-zoles" fenbendazoles, etc, but the "-ectins", ivermectin, etc. tend to penetrate more. I tend to toss the eggs, I wouldn't want to find out I am sensitive or allergic by getting sick. The recommendations can be found on this site, I don't have a link handy, but I am sure some people have it on hand. I can't see any harm in incubating though, good luck!

Interesting, I had no idea, is it with all the meds or only the ones that penetrate the most?

I haven't compared results but I know that Wazine (piperazine) is notorious for creating a lot of deformed chicks and safeguard (fenbendazole) lots of quitters, weak chicks, and possibly responsible for deformed chicks as well but I haven't done it myself. After being told this I just avoided it. It's better to wait.

I haven't compared results but I know that Wazine (piperazine) is notorious for creating a lot of deformed chicks and safeguard (fenbendazole) lots of quitters, weak chicks, and possibly responsible for deformed chicks as well but I haven't done it myself. After being told this I just avoided it. It's better to wait.
Thank you for the info. I always learn a lot from you when you are in threads.

Does anyone know why you cannot eat the eggs? Is it because of chemicals?
Yes it's because of the drug residues in the eggs. Some have been tested for residue and withdrawal times established. Others have not had enough testing.
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/33795633.pdf

If you do it.. keep track and report results! :pop

Interesting, I had no idea, is it with all the meds or only the ones that penetrate the most?
Egg residue FARAD

http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

I only worm my birds IF there is cause for concern and USUALLY verified.. either via fecal float or visual confirmation of roundworms in droppings.

I personally would more likely to feed the eggs back to the animals than tossing or hatching.

Otherwise, I might compost them.

Or wait until molt and once it's wrapped up treat before laying returns. In 10 years with my soil type, stock density, wildlife load, etc.. I've not YET needed to worm my poultry. So I cannot offer anything other than technical written information. Sometimes I find that personal experience is MORE valid, not that the tech isn't but it's written to meet IDEAL conditions with too much information.. almost fear mongering to a degree. Experimenting is thinking outside the box.. knowing there may be undesirable outcomes.. BUT there MAY be decent ones as well! :oops:

I have HEARD of one person who hatches their eggs during worming but not sure WHICH med they were using OR their result. Maybe you can search for some more threads.. I found one with good discussion.. Always use YOUR best judgement, NO matter what someone posts!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-wormed-with-valbazen.1150448/#post-18001298

Bookmark one of those links for future reference on withdrawal time and drug residues in case you'd like to reference or share with someone. :)

Happy hatching if you try. :fl

Back
Top Bottom