Deworming Backyard Chickens

Victoria_S

Chirping
May 26, 2020
Hello! I had a few questions about deworming backyard chickens that I hope can be answered by others who have more experience with this. I have cared for chickens before but this is the first time I have owned my own flock. I was wondering if it is recommended to have a deworming schedule with backyard chickens. I have worked with other species of livestock who were dewormed every fall and spring to prevent parasitic overload as well as mites/ lice etc. My backyard chickens are currently healthy and showing no signs of illness, so I do not want to medicate them unnecessarily, however, I do want to do everything that I can to prevent a problem. I clean the water daily and spot clean droppings every morning, in the run and the coop.
I was wondering what others have found to be successful deworming products. I have used Ivermectin before on other species and I like the fact that it is topical and broad spectrum, but I have read that it is used off-brand for chickens so I would be a bit hesitant to use it. Has anyone had any bird getting bad side effects from Ivermectin?
I have heard of other products which are mixed in waterers, but I'm not entirely sure about those because I would be concerned about each chicken getting the right dosage. I have heard that many people use DE, but I have also read that DE can be harmful if inhaled and that its mechanism of working is microscopic sharp crystals which cut the worm eggs. I have read that when these crystals are dissolved in water, they are essentially useless. However, before I rule it out I would like to hear other experiences with using DE, and if it has been successful and safe, as I am not sure which sources to trust!
I have also read things like using apple cider vinegar and other such products but I could not be sure if there was any research to back up these claims. Has anyone had success with apple cider vinegar?

The best thing to do is to have a fecal float test performed a couple of times a year to check for worms and then treat based on what is found or not found.

If you live in a dry rocky place there is less of a chance of them having worms.

Good thread!

The best thing to do is to have a fecal float test performed a couple of times a year to check for worms and then treat based on what is found or not found.

If you live in a dry rocky place there is less of a chance of them having worms.

Good thread!

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom