1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Deworming because we have worms!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksinthemachine, Nov 12, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    I just feed my older flock our pumpkins from Halloween last week how long will that last? Because my flock indoors has worms and one died this morning, she was recovering from a racoon rampage at my house a couple of weeks ago, I don't have any more pumpkin seeds to give to the peeps what should I do? I have corid/amprol and terramycin(sp) on hand will any of these help? I also read something about honey and garlic? Help please I can't take much more of this!@![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Ivomec Eprinex - it's a topical dewormer for cattle available at the feedstore - treats several types of worms (Wazine only treats roundworms) 0.5 cc for standard chickens, 0.25 cc for bantams Put the dose on the back of the neck. I don't know if it needs to be repeated with a known infestation - as preventative maintenance, it's only done every few months. I don't think pumpkin seeds are very effective against a known infestation; I think they're more like a preventative. Hope this helps!

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can find out how to treat worms HERE . Good luck!

4. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Wow thanks for the link![​IMG] P.S. Can my kids and us get these roundworms, because they have been handled before I knew they had roundworms it is only 5 peeps well 4 now I lost one this morning but we wash our hands with anti-bacterial soap after handling them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Not that I know of...

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    FYI - pumpkin seeds only treat tapeworms. At least that is what I have been previously taught.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pumpkin seeds and buttermilk are a multi-worm preventative, but if you are seeing worms in poop and lots of them, time for the big guns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by