Deworming rules

BTW: Putting wormers in water isnt a very effective way of worming birds. You dont know if a bird drank enough of the treated water to be effective or if they drank it at all. Sick birds rarely drink or dont drink at all. Direct dosing each bird one at a time is best. That way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

Excellent point! A therapeutic dose is only a guess if mixed with water... Better to be sure and direct dose each bird.

Remember if treating tapeworms, that they are spread by a chicken eating the eggs in droppings, but originate from eating an intermediate host, such as worms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies, etc. Keeping droppings clean up as needed, stirring bedding and adding new, keeping it dry, changing out bedding a couple of times a year, and letting chickens outside on grass as much as possible may help in prevention.

Remember if treating tapeworms, that they are spread by a chicken eating the eggs in droppings, but originate from eating an intermediate host, such as worms, snails, slugs, beetles, flies, etc. Keeping droppings clean up as needed, stirring bedding and adding new, keeping it dry, changing out bedding a couple of times a year, and letting chickens outside on grass as much as possible may help in prevention.
I am on top of keeping the coop as clean as possible. New bedding is switched out of the coop once a month, but they are chickens. They poop on everything. Then scratch it all around! Lol. They used to free range the entire yard and had an endless amount of grass to forage but I had to make a larger run for them in the back because it was time to plant in the garden for the summer. They still have plenty of room, but no grass. I know my girls. They really loved the grass. I have to gardener dump the shavings of it to them when he comes, but I can tell they are not as happy as they were before the new run.

Safeguard and Ivermectin wont treat tapeworms, period. Ivermectin wont treat large roundworms, been there done that years ago. Stick with praziquantel, it'll take care of tapeworms.
Get someone to hold the stubborn hen for you. Then pull its wattles down and her mouth will open. Then quickly give her the wormer and immediately let go of the wattles so she can swallow it. Done.
Man, I wish I knew about the waddle trick with the rest of the chickens. Thanks for the advice. I will use it on my stubborn one today, if I can catch her. My BO are a little more hesitant of humans than my sex links, but this BO is the only one who doesn’t squat when you come near. She full on sprints. I’ve been left feeling defeated with sweat dripping down my face trying to grab her. The rest have received praziquantel.

Man, I wish I knew about the waddle trick with the rest of the chickens. Thanks for the advice. I will use it on my stubborn one today, if I can catch her. My BO are a little more hesitant of humans than my sex links, but this BO is the only one who doesn’t squat when you come near. She full on sprints. I’ve been left feeling defeated with sweat dripping down my face trying to grab her. The rest have received praziquantel.
Go out to the coop with a flashlight before sunrise when it's still dark. Open up the coop and snatch one off the roost and worm her, then let her go. Then snatch up another one until they are all wormed. They cant see in the dark and wont run.

Back
Top Bottom