Deworming the right way?

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
In the past I have used Fenbendazole. After reading a few threads I found that many people say not to use during a molt. I had just given all my girls their first dose (pea sized paste directly in beak). Should I dose again in 10 days or should I wait until the molting is over? I had also read that the egg withdrawing period is 30 days after first dose?

In the past I have used Fenbendazole. After reading a few threads I found that many people say not to use during a molt. I had just given all my girls their first dose (pea sized paste directly in beak). Should I dose again in 10 days or should I wait until the molting is over? I had also read that the egg withdrawing period is 30 days after first dose?
Do your hens have worms or ?

Fenbendazole is dosed by weight, not by pea size amounts.

For Roundworms Only = dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

For other types of worms that poultry can have including Roundworms, but excluding Tapeworms = dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Fenbendazole is known to affect feather quality/growth in molting birds, so I would not give it during molt.

Egg withdrawal period is 14 days after last dose.

If they are in molt and you need to deworm them, use Albendazole (Valbazen). Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This will treat most worms that poultry have except for Tapeworms.
Albendazole withdrawal period is 14 days after the last dose.

Do your hens have worms or ?

Fenbendazole is dosed by weight, not by pea size amounts.

For Roundworms Only = dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

For other types of worms that poultry can have including Roundworms, but excluding Tapeworms = dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Fenbendazole is known to affect feather quality/growth in molting birds, so I would not give it during molt.

Egg withdrawal period is 14 days after last dose.

If they are in molt and you need to deworm them, use Albendazole (Valbazen). Dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This will treat most worms that poultry have except for Tapeworms.
Albendazole withdrawal period is 14 days after the last dose.
I have not visibly seen worms but I have not dewormed them in 2 years and they have had diarrhea/soiled feathers ongoing for a month or more. Someone else on here said try treating for worms. What would you suggest going forward?

Any changes in feed?

Getting a fecal float can tell you if you need to deworm or not, but if you feel that worms are contributing to their issues, then deworm with Valbazen during molt. Otherwise, the Fenbendazole is a good dewormer.

Any changes in feed?

Getting a fecal float can tell you if you need to deworm or not, but if you feel that worms are contributing to their issues, then deworm with Valbazen during molt. Otherwise, the Fenbendazole is a good dewormer.
I've always used Purina crumbles. I did treat with Medistatin because the droppings stuck on their feathers were gooey white and crusted like cement. Then came the red mites that I sprayed the coop and powdered the chickens. I feel like I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom