Deworming & what to use?

Feb 1, 2021
Cucumbers are tasty, but as a wormer, just no.
Mary
It works. So does dill and crushed garlic in their water and it's much cheaper and easier.... You could just feed them pickles 🤣. Don't actually unless you have some fresh canned ones. Ones from the store are gonna have lots of salt and other things that aren't gonna contribute to their health.

Folly's place

Enabler
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
You forgot about those pumpkin seeds, also touted in some circles as a great wormer. And mildly toxic to roundworms, at enormous amounts fed to the chickens. They are tasty though, so another nice treat for the birds.
Here we would use fenbendazole, safe and effective, if necessary. And let the birds enjoy their other treats, as treats.
Mary

Feb 1, 2021
You forgot about those pumpkin seeds, also touted in some circles as a great wormer. And mildly toxic to roundworms, at enormous amounts fed to the chickens. They are tasty though, so another nice treat for the birds.
Here we would use fenbendazole, safe and effective, if necessary. And let the birds enjoy their other treats, as treats.
Mary
Ah yes! And since it was Halloween, ya probably have a few pumpkins laying around. You could find some on sale too some where I bet!

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
Perhaps I'll try the Safeguard 5 days in a row...
Is the dosage is the same as listed for goats?
Safeguard (Fenbendazole) treatment of Roundworms only dose for chickens is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most other worms, except for Tapeworms, then give Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Barredhen

Songster
6 Years
May 3, 2015
Michigan
Never assume that what's good for one species is the same for another!!! Look it up on their site, or check here.
Mary

Good advice, I agree. I wasn't assuming, I was clarifying because that is what I thought I remembered.

As for pumpkin seeds, vinegar and/or garlic as dewormers, I've tried that in the past and regularly fed a lot of pumpkin seeds and garlic but my flock still had worms. (Different flock, years ago)

Thanks for the thoughts!

GoatsandGuineas

Songster
Oct 29, 2021
north central Arkansas
Is there anything that can be added to their water that all of them can just drink as a preventative type treatment? I've got 35 birds and there's just no way I'm spending my entire weekend spitting mad trying to catch them all and try to remember which I've dosed and which I still need to.

Top Bottom