Deworming with Fenbendazole

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Hi, quick question for anyone who can answer! I bought a bag of Equibits (0.5% fenbendazole) to deworm my chickens with.

It said to use 1.0 pound per 1000 pounds of body weight for a one-treatment ration. If I did the math right, this means 0.001 pounds for 1 pound of body weight. So that means for a 7 pound chicken I would use 0.007 pounds. This rounds out to 3-4 grams.

This would mean the amount of pure fenbendazole for 3-4 grams would be 15-20 mg. Or 15-20 mg pure fenbendazole per chicken. Is this the correct dosage? I really want to get the dosage right, I've never dewormed before.
hu.gif

I've never used Equibits before and cant help you with the dosage. If it's not too late, return it and buy either Safeguard equine paste or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. I can help you with those dosages. Or, purchase Valbazen (albendazole) liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

Thanks for the input.
big_smile.png
Unfortunately I can't go back right away and exchange it, but I know that Equibits is a lower dosage of fenbendazole than both of those, so I suppose there's less margin for error.

Quote:
Not necessarily a less margin of error with fenbendazole. It's probably the safest wormer on the market. It would take over 100 full tubes of Safeguard paste to have an adverse effect on a horse. That's why they call it "Safe" guard. It's pretty much the same for other livestock using the safeguard paste, very safe wormer. Dont get me wrong though, I'd never overdose any animal with any wormer, I follow instructions to the letter. I hope someone comes along and helps you with the equibits. Good luck.

Hi! I know this in an old post, but was wondering if you ever found out the dosage on the fenbendazole pellets 0.5%?
I have 2 bantams and i want to deworm them.

Thank you :)

Hi! I know this in an old post, but was wondering if you ever found out the dosage on the fenbendazole pellets 0.5%?
I have 2 bantams and i want to deworm them.

Thank you :)
@KariBunny , welcome to BYC!

Do they need to be dewormed? If so, what worms do they have? The amount of pellets they need depends on the type of worms they have.

-Kathy

Last edited:
There is not many vets around where i live. /:
But i dont think anything would happen if a deworm them as prevention. i just dont know the dosage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom