Deworming with Valbazen Questions

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
Hello! Last night I referred back to some old posts here (by dawg53, who apparently doesn't post here anymore?) that I'd found in the past about deworming with Valbazen and then went out and dosed my small flock, but suddenly this morning, I wondered if I'd done it correctly because - in part - I may have mixed up the info ... : ( I shook well and gave the right dosage (1/2 cc for standard sized chicken). What I might have mixed up and messed up on was I saturated a chunk of bread with it inside the house - one per chicken - and then walked it outside to the coop to feed one at a time.
I remembered this a.m. that the saturating-bread trick was advised for Safeguard, and maybe not Valbazen. I'm hoping this won't be a problem though, since the bread soaked it up. However, in the past, I'd saturated the bread outside just before giving it (well, before giving Safeguard) to each chicken, and in doing so in the house this time, the bread was not wet when I fed it to them, and I wonder if there's a problem with it having dried into the bread (but there was about only a few minutes lag of time).
Anyway, I plan on redosing in 10 days - I read that here... although I've also read to wait 14 days here and somewhere else!
AND I also read online (on the Chicken Chick's site), after dosing, that over 2cc of water should be drawn up to give with the dose of Valbazen! I'd never seen that on this forum, and I wonder if my guys will be ok without having done that!
Any ideas? Thank you! :)

I gave my chickens valbazen on bread - exactly the same way but I had a few that jumped up and took it from me. That means some got more than one piece. They didn't have any problems. I can't imagine the bread drying out in just a few minutes. If it were me and I thought it wasn't enough, I'd give a bit more on bread. Otherwise, just wait 10 days and do it again.
I didn't give water afterwards, just made sure they had clean water. And make sure you toss the eggs for the amount of time stated.

I gave my chickens valbazen on bread - exactly the same way but I had a few that jumped up and took it from me. That means some got more than one piece. They didn't have any problems. I can't imagine the bread drying out in just a few minutes. If it were me and I thought it wasn't enough, I'd give a bit more on bread. Otherwise, just wait 10 days and do it again.
I didn't give water afterwards, just made sure they had clean water. And make sure you toss the eggs for the amount of time stated.
Yes, I have to separate them when dosing for that very reason - some will grab from others, and my rooster will offer his as a "gift" to the hens! Ugh!

I don't think there is any problem with it drying on the bread.

Were you able to keep each piece of bread separate so it soaked into each separate piece and not "run" together?

For the future...the correct dose for Valbazen is 0.08 ml/cc per pound of bird.
At 0.5 ml you were dosing each bird as if they were close to 6/7 pounds.

I don't think there is any problem with it drying on the bread.

Were you able to keep each piece of bread separate so it soaked into each separate piece and not "run" together?

For the future...the correct dose for Valbazen is 0.08 ml/cc per pound of bird.
At 0.5 ml you were dosing each bird as if they were close to 6/7 pounds.
Thanks! I'm curious: where are you getting those numbers? The sources I've read say to give 1/4 cc to bantam-sized, and 1/2 cc to average-sized chickens. If there's info out there that's more recent and/or better calculated, I'd rather rely on that.

Thanks! I'm curious: where are you getting those numbers? The sources I've read say to give 1/4 cc to bantam-sized, and 1/2 cc to average-sized chickens. If there's info out there that's more recent and/or better calculated, I'd rather rely on that.
From a vet.

medications are supposed to be given based on the weight of the bird. If you gave 1/2 cc to a standard sized bird, that's okay, it's just a little more than they should get.

The Valbazen dose is 20 mg/kg, and that info I got from a vet. There is also a de-worming study that suggests that 20 mg/kg is the most effective dose.

The math is:
Weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2 (converts pounds to kg), times the dose which is 20 mg per kg, divide by the number of mg in one ml (cc), which with Valbazen is 113.6 mg = the amount to give the bird.

Some Old English Game banties weigh about a pound, so this is the math for one pound:
1 / 2.2 x 20 / 113.6 = 0.08 ml

A five pound bird
5 / 2.2 x 20 / 113.6 = 0.4 ml

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom