Deworming

njchickenlover

Hatching
Feb 10, 2015
I'm sure this topic has been started but I can't find anything on it and my bird vet doesn't know either , my chickens have been treated for worms. Once then 10 dAys later and another 10 days later. doing the last treatment on Monday. Any idea when I can start using their eggs again? I'm assuming as least a week. The medicine is levamisole in their drinking water for one day. Thanks!

I would feel safe after a minimum of 1 week,2 weeks if your paranoid. This is pretty normal for most wormers.

Levamisole was used as a human dewormer for many years and is still used in some countries. I would not be worried to consume it in a residule low level poultry/egg situation.

Thank you so much! I knew fellow owners would be the best source of information! I couldn't find anything online or through my vet. My vet said I may need to do this a few times a year Id it's due to my soil. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you so much! I knew fellow owners would be the best source of information! I couldn't find anything online or through my vet. My vet said I may need to do this a few times a year Id it's due to my soil. Does anyone else have this issue?

Your vet is correct. There are worm eggs in and on your soil. Chickens constantly peck the the soil and pick up worm eggs. Warm moist or wet soil is worm soup. Worming on a regular basis is the only way to end the worms lifecycle.
Here's a link to poultry worms lifecycle and the different types of worms that can infect chickens:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps012

Back
Top Bottom