Deworming

Chick2chicken

Songster
6 Years
Mar 19, 2017
Canada
Hi,
I've decided to de worm my flock in case they have worms and to just stay on the safe side:).
So I read that Garlic and Apple cider vinegar in the water is supposed to be good but can I put both in the water at the same time or is that a bad idea?
Thanks
chick2chicken

You would be far better off to take a droppings sample to the vet and have a fecal float test done. Many vets will do this even if they do not treat birds. Call around and ask. There is no reason to treat for worms if there are not any present. Are you seeing symptoms that suggest worms? Also, knowing which ones they are can determine dosing for medications. Garlic and ACV are fine for preventative and general health purposes but will not kill the worms inside a chicken. If you find that you do have worms, then a chemical wormer will be necessary, in my experience. Also excessive amounts of garlic can cause problems, so it needs to be used correctly. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/05/raising-chickens-naturally-garlic-with.html
Most herbals work as preventatives and need to be given year round to be effective. They do not treat a worm infection.

You would be far better off to take a droppings sample to the vet and have a fecal float test done. Many vets will do this even if they do not treat birds. Call around and ask. There is no reason to treat for worms if there are not any present. Are you seeing symptoms that suggest worms? Also, knowing which ones they are can determine dosing for medications. Garlic and ACV are fine for preventative and general health purposes but will not kill the worms inside a chicken. If you find that you do have worms, then a chemical wormer will be necessary, in my experience. Also excessive amounts of garlic can cause problems, so it needs to be used correctly. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/05/raising-chickens-naturally-garlic-with.html
Most herbals work as preventatives and need to be given year round to be effective. They do not treat a worm infection.

Thanks I read that if they are eating a lot and become lighter it is a bad sign well my chickens are definitely eating a lot I have to give them more feed almost everyday! Also yesterday I received some eggs that seemed a bit poopy could this also be a sign even if they don't have worms should I put ACV and garlic in their water anyways?

Weight loss, runny droppings, dirty butts and eggs, can all be signs of worms.
Definitive answer would be had by getting the fecal done, which I highly recommend.
Here is a post on misconceptions about worming: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rmer-misinformations-graphic-pictures.933643/
And here is another long post concerning worms and worming: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-warning-graphic-pictures-and-videos.1090991/
If you cannot get the fecal done I would recommend that you use Safeguard liquid goat wormer(fenbendazole) or Valbazen(albendazole). Wazine is available, but it is not direct dose (mixes in the water) and only kills large roundworms. The others are direct dose so no question that each bird got the correct amount, and both kill most types of worms. Without a fecal you will not know what worm you are trying to treat for.
There is a "14 day egg withdrawl following dose" recommendation with each. If you dose twice, 10 days apart, which is the usual dosing for most worms that means dumping eggs for 24 days. There are other wormers available under different brands with those same medications.
As for the ACV and garlic. ACV won't hurt them, use the kind with the 'mother', like Bragg's. 1 Tbsp to a gallon of water is enough. Too much can put them off the water and if your temps are warming up that would not be good. For the garlic, I would do a little more homework before you decide on that. Many, many people recommend and use it. But as I said before, it can be toxic in large amounts. If a 5 lb chicken ate one clove of garlic that would be the equivalent of a 100 lb person eating 20 cloves of garlic. As with all 'dosing' of anything, weight matters. Do some reading and determine what form and amount you are comfortable with. I would not give it daily long term, just my opinion. The link I gave you before is a good start. Just don't imagine that either the ACV or garlic will take care of worms, if that's what your chickens have. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom