1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dexter cattle, need advice!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chook pen jen, Mar 25, 2009.

1. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    We have just bought a dexter cow in calf and a 4 month old heifer,not her calf. [​IMG]
    They are not very well handled so are not very tame. we plan to make a holding yard and hand feed them for a time.As we have only had experience with steers, this is all new to us.They are being delivered next week, what size yard will they need ?,can we keep them in the yard untill they settle down, or do they need to only come in to feed? and any other good advice will be gladly received. [​IMG]

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I know absolutely nothing about cattle but I did find a web site you may want to check out.

http://www.purebreddextercattle.org/

Sorry I cant be of any help other than a link. good luck.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Maybe if you post over on BackYardCows.com you'll find out more answers! Good luck with your little cows.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    By only experience with steers...are you saying show steers, steers for slaughter? If you have had any cattle and got them used to human contact...do it that way...no real difference between cow and steer...bulls yes but they can be gentled as well. Hand fed? You mean you are going to walk in with a bucket right and fill something so they get the idea that you mean food...right?

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Correl them in where you can be around them. Start with being on the outside of the corral and let them get used to you and the place. Once they are comfortable with that then you can start walking in by them and around/amoungst them.

As for coming in to be fed. They can be fed in the correl but, they do need shelter.

I'm guessing that you are not planning on milking the cow-at least not right now.

Come visit us on [​IMG] we would love to help you with all of your cattle questios. [​IMG]

6. chook pen jen

chook pen jen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Collie W.Australia
    Thanks everyone, I will definatly try the dexter site and how did I miss backyardcow [​IMG] . My experience is with steers I got them at about one week old( fresian calves from the dairy),so it was easy to hand feed and tame them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by