1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DH had an idea re: Protein

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by afj6710, Jul 12, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Right now, all of our chickens are staying in the coop full time until they get a little bigger, then they'll go out in the run during the day. Chicken feed is $$$$ so we're trying to supplement them as much as possible from our kitchen and garden. But, I know they need more protein so I've been scavenging for bugs.

DH had an idea that we should hang a small bowl from the top of the coop with a small amount of old fruit/veggies in it. The flies will lay their eggs in the cup, then the maggots will come raining down for the chickens to eat.

Aside from being really gross, does that sound workable/ok to do?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Some people do that with road kill. All I can say is Yuck.

3. tommboy1973

tommboy1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Hidden Valley, AZ
    I would like to try that myself. I bet rotting fruits and veggies will smell a whole lot better than roadkill!!

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    How about raising your own mealworms?

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

get some meal worms started, buy a hundered and let them breed

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I've heard that fly maggots are nasty for chickens because of the carrion and poop they eat. Black Soldier Fly larvae are good and do not carry disease. Mealworms are great too. I would not feel real comfortable with the run of the mill fly maggots.

7. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Probably not dangerous with fruit, but with meat there is a real risk of botulism poisoning ("limberneck"). I read a fellow's account where he tried it and lost a few birds... there goes your savings. Chicken feed seems expensive until you compare it to the cost of sick or dying chickens.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've seen this before and read about it. One person who advocated this in a magazine later changed his mind after learning they can carry disease.

Please folks understand that our chickens are "domesticated" . This means that what their ancestors ate in the wild are no longer good for them. Sure they'll eat it but that doesn't mean it's healthy for them or you.

The hardiness of the breed may not be what you hope it is and you could end up with sick birds. In which case you haven't saved anything.

Now if you need the eggs consider keeping one of the "hybrid" breeds. They lay lots of eggs in a short time and you just have to replace them every two years like the commercial keepers do.

Stay healthy folks,

Rancher

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I know who you are talking about, he writes for several different poultry magazines and was quite the advocate of his road-kill maggot generator until he started losing birds to botulism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by