Dh says eggs smell like manure when cooked, but the shells are clean?!

mothersin2ition

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Othello, WA
I am trying to figure out what the problem is. My dh swears that our eggs stink when he cooks them- like chicken poop. And its not the shells, he says, its the eggs themselves. Has anyone else noticed a funky smell with their fresh eggs? I honestly haven't noticed, but I dont eat them very often, and Dh has them almost every morning.

They get the standard layer's feed, with oyster shell on demand, and they are free-range chickens. They have access to our mint fields, and the rest of the property. The only thing I can think of is, they love to scratch and dig around in the compost pile- wonder if they're eating something nasty there?

Quote:
Ours as constantly being chased out of the compost.... you aren't putting stuff in there that you shouldn't are you? No cat or dog droppings, no animal meats or fats, no dairy....?

Is Dh a city boy? Fresh eggs smell fresh and good but to some people it is
"different" and they may consider if bad or gross.

I have only had that with eggs that were too old- if the birds themselves are sick that can cause eggs to go off as well... on the other hands, when I take certain medications smells and tastes can be enhanced/changed etc. so that could be another reason the eggs smell strange to him. Good luck!

No, mostly grass clippings, kitchen veggie/fruit scraps and plant trimmings etc.
Definitely no animal droppings..........
OH WAIT! There are......the shavings/manure from *their* coop and droppings/wood pellets from the rabbits hutch!!!!
he.gif
Duh!!
I wonder if this is contributing to the problem, if not totally responsible for it.
Guess I will have to construct a new compost bin asap!

its the stuff in the compost bin that is causing this strange ordor need to block them off from it and your egg smell problem will be gone..

Quote:
The chicken and rabbit droppings SHOULD go into the compost heap. Although, I actually think that rabbit droppings can go directly into the garden......
These would not be contributing to the the manure smell your hubby is complaining about.

NO Cat Droppings
NO Dog Droppings
No Animal FATS
No Animal MEATS
No Dairy

Chicken poo OKAY
Rabbit poo OKAY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom