DH's plan for winter watering-- with pics

I love this! Now if it was solar powered, I too would be in luck
lol.png

NurseNettie, you DH is a smarty pants!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
http://www.smarthome.com/7143/Thermo-Cube/p.aspx

it is ground plug that is temperature sensitve 35-45 degrees, it allows you to plug in 2 devices. The above link takes you to one of the sellers. I have seen them from 15-20 dollars. I picked up my last one at my local feed and grain store for 13.00, it was old stock and they hadnt updated the price, they were getting 15.95 for new stock. just google "thermo cube"

Farmer MacK
cool.png
big_smile.png
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Awesome-- Please be sure to let us know how it works-- you, as well as anyone else who tries it--- It would be fun to find out everyone's success!

I know this is an old thread....................but the cold wait's on no forum topic!!!!!!
lol.png

I use a 7 gallon auto waterer for my chickens. ( http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/5_or_7_gallon_dura_fount.html ) I have raised llamas for the past 23 years, so I've faced the "frozen water" dilemma many times. I've settled on commercially made, heated buckets. However, they have automatic water spigots to keep the buckets filled. Llamas don't peck on things, so I don't have to worry about electric cords or water hoses. For my chickens, I installed an underground line (so they couldn't peck on it and become "fried" chicken) running to a ceramic base that holds a 200 watt bulb. This is hidden below a large inverted clay flower pot on top of which I set the waterer. This setup is hooked to a Thermal Cube. The water in the outer tray still freezes! So I have to scratch my head when I see these puny little light bulbs in the pictures shown..........along with claims of "no more freezing". Any suggestions as to what I might do to keep from having to "break the ice" each morning? (we've been getting down to 15 degrees at night here in Central, OK)

Back
Top Bottom