DH's plan for winter watering-- with pics

Quote:
Very cool!! The only thing we went out and bought was the insulation-- but we had to get some anyhow to fix some torn spots in the barn. It's aawesome to use what you have "lying around" to build something cool!

Quote:
Steal away!!!! ( If you wanna patent it or something, better check with DH tho!)
gig.gif

Quote:
I don't think we've gotten quite that cold just yet-- we are seeing nights in the 20's, and the barn isn't heated-- just a small bit of insulation and their "room" (well, the wall that is open to the barn) is covered in heavy plastic, so they are in a closed in area. The folks who lived here before had chickens running all over the barn and they survived just fine-- we are going to contain them in a smaller space--- mostly for the body heat. Just want the water free-flowing for them
smile.png

Right now, but this might be short lived, but I just carry out a bucket of water in the AM. If I am doing waters that need filling I bring really warm water. If I'm doing existing buckets that are frozen I bring hot and pour it right over the ice. It melts the ice. I would like to do something a bit different but for now it works. Hard part is the goat's. LOL They're buckets are HUGE.

Quote:
We'll be carrying the water out to them-- since the hoses are already frozen. It would be ideal if the water wasn't frozen solid in the event of a big storm that keeps us from getting to the barn for a day or so. The rabbit and guinea pigs water was frozen (in the barn) this morning- so their waterer will be the next project. It wasn't solild-- and the silly buggers chewed through the ice to get to the water. Nice to see they're resourceful!!

Nicely done and you seem very concerned about safety. I bought a heated base and 3 gal double-sided waterer and it cost me close to $80 Cdn. I'm sure it will be fine, but expense is always a concern. We also have a 1.5 gal dog bowl with an electric cord for the barn cats, and it works nicely.
cool.png

Quote:
Thanks! We definitely don't want anything to happen to our chickies, or the barn! Expense is definitely an issue- so we want to go with the lowest cost way to keep things running!

Quote:
plug the light into a thermo cube, power comes on at 35 degrees shUts off at 45. no monitoring needed

Can you tell me what a thermocube is? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom