Diagnose Me!

Way too many roosters, that's your problem. There's not enough hens to go around so they start on other roosters. The dominant roosters want the hens so they show their dominance to the other roosters.

Quote:
lol.png

I'd much rather "get rid" of roos than parasites haha! I guess what threw me off is that the older bunch aren't doing this at all, just the younger fellas. Maybe there is a rapist in there...

It could be pecking but it could also be a mite problem. Make sure they have a dusting pan and put some SevinDust in the dirt. If it is mites the SevinDust will get rid of them.

ETA: Pick one up and look under the wing. If it is mites you will see them there. (In the 'wing pit')

Last edited:
Mites tend to 'hover' around the lower back or vent region. Since the bird in the first pic shows baldness in the lower back area I would think mites. The bald heads are a breeding thing, though they are pretty young to be breeding that badly. Separate the extra males and give them some SevinDust in their dust pans.

I disagree that this is a 'classic sign' of a 'well-used' coturnix. I have almost equal numbers male and female in my pen and none of them have bald backs. Bald heads, yes, but their backs are fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom