diagnose this please anyone.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prue.barratt, Aug 19, 2011.

1. prue.barratt

prue.barratt New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    My girls was depressed for a few days and I noticed she was walking funny so today I picked her up to check her out, I assumed she was egg bound and followed all directions I could to fix it warm water I inserted finger into her vent to feel what was happening as directed but it didn't work, so I put her down. when I cut her open this is what was inside I expected to find individual eggs but this looks like one big egg I thought it was a tumour but when I cut into the middle of it it does look like and egg. I would like to know for sure for future reference please if anyone knows??
    I appreciate it cheers!
    Prue[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    she internally laid. i'm sorry for your loss. also called Egg Peritonitis

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. prue.barratt

prue.barratt New Egg

Jun 24, 2011
    thanks mate, I just looked that all up and sounds right, she was being kept in really appalling conditions when I well really rescued her i went there to buy 6 chickens and come home with 13 because I couldn't leave them behind and she never really thrived so I expect that has a bit to do with it. glad I know because when I was feeling with my finger I couldn't feel an egg and my finger would only go in so far, I couldn't figure it out until I cut her open!!! so tell me if you know, if a hen is egg bound and you put you finger in can you feel the actual eggs??? just so I know for next time! so I can tell the difference between the two things, because if I get one like this again I will put her down earlier!
    thanks again....

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by