diagnose very sleepy/slouchy 2 day old

bingding

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
This is my 2 day old chick Newton (named after the scientist)
Im not sure if there is a problem but I thought I'd ask.

Newton sleeps almost constantly, I've been to check multiple times a day and he's usually in his huddled position passed out on the floor of the brooder. Ive seen him get up and roam a little, eat and occasionally drink. he is very responsive to noise and touch (will lift his head and look around). He doesn't seem nearly as active yet sometimes breathes with his beak open(others do this too, but they dont flee from the heat lamp).
Is this a sickness/chest infection? is he just drowsy? too hot? dehydrated possibly? could there be a leg issue?
I know its not pasty butt i check every so often and they're all clean.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Make sure the temperature is 90 F for the first week, but provide a cooler spot in the brooder, and keep at thermometer under the hottest part of the brooder--the temps may change from nighttime to daytime inside the house. Give this chick some Save A Chick electrolyte/vitamins in their water for a day or two. Dip it's beak in the water several times an hour today and tonight. He is probably suffering from shipping stress, and the more he drinks right now the better. Placing some chick crumbles on the floor of the brooder on paper towel will encourage them to eat.

bingding

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
okay, my chicks were hatched from an incubator. the temp is good (90 like you said), there is a cooler spot, hes eating okay now. fell back asleep, was woken by a jump/spasm. very worried

Top Bottom