Diamond dove questions

Poetastic

Chirping
Jan 20, 2018
Northern Illinois
Hello everyone! I am interested in getting a diamond dove. I have a cockatiel indoors as well and I think the dove would be great for keeping him company. Can doves and cockatiels get along? Can they be in the same cage? Can I get one dove or do I have to get two? What are your experiences with diamond doves? I've done a lot of research on diamond doves but I want to see what you guys think. All knowledge is welcome! Thanks!

I haven't kept diamond doves but I wouldn't put a dove and cockatiel in the same cage. In an aviary situation it should be ok but in the confines of a cage there may be issues as your cockatiel will consider the cage his territory. Cages side by side should be just fine though and they will keep your cockatiel company. Having finally found our ringneck dove a friend (they aren't that common where I am) I'd say doves are definitely happiest in pairs.

I haven't kept diamond doves but I wouldn't put a dove and cockatiel in the same cage. In an aviary situation it should be ok but in the confines of a cage there may be issues as your cockatiel will consider the cage his territory. Cages side by side should be just fine though and they will keep your cockatiel company. Having finally found our ringneck dove a friend (they aren't that common where I am) I'd say doves are definitely happiest in pairs.
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep looking into it. I will probably get a pair and keep them in a separate cage.

Don't keep them in the same cage. The cockatiel will eventually hurt and injure the dove.. the cockatiel is much bigger and has a sharp strong beak.

Your idea about getting a pair and putting them in a separate cage near the cockatiel is ideal as he will be able to watch the doves and not get lonely.

Just be careful that when you let the doves out to fly they do not land and sit on top of the cockatiel cage. If they do the cockatiel is likely to bite the doves toes through the bars!

Don't keep them in the same cage. The cockatiel will eventually hurt and injure the dove.. the cockatiel is much bigger and has a sharp strong beak.

Your idea about getting a pair and putting them in a separate cage near the cockatiel is ideal as he will be able to watch the doves and not get lonely.

Just be careful that when you let the doves out to fly they do not land and sit on top of the cockatiel cage. If they do the cockatiel is likely to bite the doves toes through the bars!
Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it!

Hello

Firstly I would never allow any parrot specie in with diamond doves. I have an aviary of them and they are so small and delicate that they will easily be killed by these. In fact how I actually ended up with my first ones is that someone had these birds together in an aviary and the cockatiels kept killing them. They tend to not fight back unless its another dove so they just allow themselves to be picked on unfortunately.

A pair would be great. however in the wild they naturally live in flocks kinda like feral pigeons do. only with a different diet :lau. Once I had mine in a bigger group they seemed to be much more happier and two pairs will even share a nest. Just to show how docile they are.

Parrots like cockatiels are very intolerant of straight billed birds and should only be kept with birds of the hooked billed varieties like themselves and of a similar size. However, if this a cage environment and not an aviary them one of the same species but opposite genders is way he/she should be housed with.

Hope this helped :)

Hello

Firstly I would never allow any parrot specie in with diamond doves. I have an aviary of them and they are so small and delicate that they will easily be killed by these. In fact how I actually ended up with my first ones is that someone had these birds together in an aviary and the cockatiels kept killing them. They tend to not fight back unless its another dove so they just allow themselves to be picked on unfortunately.

A pair would be great. however in the wild they naturally live in flocks kinda like feral pigeons do. only with a different diet :lau. Once I had mine in a bigger group they seemed to be much more happier and two pairs will even share a nest. Just to show how docile they are.

Parrots like cockatiels are very intolerant of straight billed birds and should only be kept with birds of the hooked billed varieties like themselves and of a similar size. However, if this a cage environment and not an aviary them one of the same species but opposite genders is way he/she should be housed with.

Hope this helped :)
Thanks for your response. It helped! My cockatiel is aggressive, but I think if I kept a pair of doves in a separate cage, he might not be as lonely. I raised a couple pigeon babies a few years ago, so I'm glad to know that knowledge may come in handy with the doves.

Thanks for your response. It helped! My cockatiel is aggressive, but I think if I kept a pair of doves in a separate cage, he might not be as lonely. I raised a couple pigeon babies a few years ago, so I'm glad to know that knowledge may come in handy with the doves.

Hi
Glad I could help :). The only problem you may encounter is that the presence of the doves so close to the cockatiel will unsettle him more. You would be better off getting a few more cockatiels and having a big cage or indoor aviary for them and housing them as a family unit as his is how they naturally want to live. However don't just chuck them in together as they will more than likely fight. A slow introduction should be done.

Back
Top Bottom