1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diarhea in New adult Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrenchToast, Jun 12, 2011.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    We just brought home 6 new adult laying hens to keep up with our egg orders. We noticed some of the hens have what appears to be wet behinds from diarhea? Haven't seen the diarhea but the feathers below their vent and underside look like they have had diarhea?

Anywone know how I sure treat them? Yogurt ? Probiotics?

I am keeping them under quarantine. They don't appear to be listless or sick in any way.

Thanks

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Sometimes, poo just sticks to the feathers back there - when it dries, you can cut it off with scissors. They are probably fine, especially since you said they appear healthy. Keep in quarantine, obeserve and yogurt is good for them anytime. Good luck!

If you haven't seen this, there's a poo chart: http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Were the birds shipped? Are they drinking a lot of water due to the heat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by