Diaria?

GBov

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Got our chicks for our 4H project and they seem to have diaria. And of course with that they are getting pasty butt really bad. Spent almost an hour patiently washing chick butts this morning and am a bit tired of it.

Most of them seem to be getting more normal poops but about a third of the bunch (25) still have brown watery smears instead of nice firm poops.

Is there anything I can do to help them out on this? They have lost one already at the club - am soooo glad we brought ours home - and we dont want to loose any of ours. We have raised chicks in the past and yes, we have had pasty butt on a few of them but not to this degree, over half of them this morning needed to be cleaned.

They are 5 days old now.

Do they have sugar in their water? how warm is it in the brooder? if they are too warm than they drink a lot to cool down causing them to have diarrhea.

Agree with Hollywood Chickens. I suspect too high a temp, which dehydrates them, is often the cause. A little probiotic will help, too; probably the best one for pasty butt is organic apple cider vinegar, about a tablespoon or two to a gallon of their water. Or give just a little yogurt -- they may accept it better if mixed with a bit of chick feed.

Its warm enough in the brooder for them to be scattered over the bottom without being clustered under the lights. And no, there is nothing in the water except water.

Will put ACV in the water right now.

I was suprised at how much they were drinking but as its been quail hatchlings for hte last year I just thought I had forgotten how much chicks drink. That and the fact we have never had so many at once.

So far they all seem lively enough so if we can sort the big D problem, they will be a fine bunch of babies
big_smile.png

Can't chickens also have diarrhea when they have stress, because when I moved them to their coops for when their babies they had diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom