Diarreha, lethargic and warm

muktownchick

Hatching
Sep 27, 2016
I have a hen who is 6 months old, came down with diarreha, is lethargic and warm to touch. Decided it was cocciosis after talking to local feed store, been treating flock for 3 days now, 2 were affected. One is better, the original one who started does not seem to be getting any better. Her crop seems swollen, I have now put in in isolation. Any other suggestions? They say 5 day treatment, however she doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Viruses cause fever too. Of the number of things that can cause the symptoms mentioned, very few are bacterial issues that can be helped by antibiotics.
Overuse of antibiotics without knowing the specific malady being treated is creating super bugs.

Chickens' body temp is around 102 so feeling hot could be normal. I'd take the chicken's temperature to be sure it is a fever.

Avian vets are very uncommon around the country and those with poultry experience are as rare as hen's teeth.

I'd be ready to send the bird to the state poultry lab for necropsy in case it doesn't make it so one knows exactly what killed the bird and have an appropriate course of action rather than automatically using antibiotics to treat an unknown illness.

@muktownchick what state are you located in?

There are few illnesses with those symptoms that don't also have accompanying symptoms.
A crop can appear enlarged after a bird has eaten with there being no problem.
Other than viral or bacterial, the problem could also be protozoal, fungal, nutritional, environmental, etc..

Last edited:
If the 6 month olds aren't new to your property, it isn't likely to be coccidiosis.
Feed store employees aren't the place to go for chicken health issues. I don't think many have been to vet school.
It was likely a virus and one is recovering on its own and the other isn't . Medication for coccidiosis won't help any other malady.

Sounds like she's running a fever due to some sort of infection, if she were mine I'd call up my vet and talk about getting her some antibiotics.

No of course antibiotic won't help with a virus but this bird may be running a fever wich indicates a secondary bacterial infection as a result of the virus, which is very common and fever indicates infection. I had a bird with this exact diagnosis buy a vet so just relaying my experience

It is of course up to "the owner" what they can do for there bird but from what's being described it sounds like this bird is VERY sick and needs imediate attention!, if the owner is able to do so this bird really needs a vet or it may not make it, just my honest opinion...

If the 6 month olds aren't new to your property, it isn't likely to be coccidiosis.
Feed store employees aren't the place to go for chicken health issues. I don't think many have been to vet school.
It was likely a virus and one is recovering on its own and the other isn't . Medication for coccidiosis won't help any other malady.
X2
For the swollen croup, can you massage it? Might've eaten something non-edible. Any swelling around face or eyes? Just out of curiosity how much warmer is she compared to your other birds?

Last edited:
We are in Wisconsin and our weather has suddenly become fall. She is still having messy feces. How do you take a chickens temp? All hens stopped laying but we have had coyotes in the area. They are not free range. I realize the store isn't full of vets but they are all farmers, kind of a coop of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom