Diarrhea & Deworming - HELP NEEDED

Helicopter Mom

Songster
Mar 7, 2019
Princeton, WI
My Coop
My Coop
We have 17 chickens and I noticed one in particular had a bare bum. After separating her from the flock and quarantining her, I took her to a vet who diagnosed her with worms. I treated her and the rest of the flock with Wazine 17 for 24 hours. That was about 4 days ago. I'm currently withdrawing eggs for 10 days but noticed that my hen I have quarantined is still having diarrhea. I'm now suspecting she might have more than just round worms that the Wazine 17 only covers. I plan to worm again with fenbendazole as it's more broad spectrum.

My primary question is: How long do I need to wait to re-worm knowing the Wazine 17 didn't seem to work?

My poor girl is going on week #4 like this :hitand I'd like to get her back with the flock ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Did the vet do a fecal float test? They should have. That will determine what type/species of intestinal worms you need to treat for.
It will also tell if there are any pathogenic bacteria that are causing the diarrhea.

Did the vet do a fecal float test? They should have. That will determine what type/species of intestinal worms you need to treat for.
It will also tell if there are any pathogenic bacteria that are causing the diarrhea.
I'm assuming that was the test they did. I was told she had ascarids. That was it. They recommended levamisole, piperazine or fenbendazole. I went with the piperazine (Wazine 17) as I found that ascarids were roundworms. How long would it take before "normal" poo happens? I never actually saw any worms either before or after giving the Wazine 17.

Normally, one wouldn't see worms.
The worms should be gone in a couple days. Did they tell you how long to wait for retreatment? I believe it is 1 week to 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom