diarrhea in 8 yr old hen

92568_imag0237.jpg

Ok after a good cleaning she looks much better. I have also added powder for the mites and today I don't see any. She was.re-powdered this am to ensure we have killed them all. I added the mite powder to their bathing spot but so far they haven't gone in it. We had a week of solid rain so it might be a bit wet even though I covered it with a tarp.
Just in case I purchased some de-wormer but am going to wait to see if this clears up first. Thanks again for everyones help.

Wow she looks better!

Be sure to retreat in 10 days or so with the Poultry Dust to kill the hatching mite eggs.

Believe me, they will be back if you skip this step. (And I would continue inspecting every week to make sure they are gone.) You can treat weekly until GONE if they prove to be tenacious. Also don't forget the coop and nest box areas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491429&p=2
here's a link for sevin dust egg withdrwawal times in case you need it

Last edited:
They are finally bathing in the dust but you better believe we will be repeating the process again in a week. I used a whole can and still have another can. Thanks for the support.

Still treating for mites to be on the safe side but yesterday miss rose left me a very nasty surprise on the ground in the pen. It resembled a hard boiled egg with no shell. I did dissect it to see since this is the first time ive seen one like it. But I'm pretty sure it was in her for a long time. I'm thinking the stress from her being brought here did it. She has been super hungry since she passed it and perhaps happier now. I'm still keeping my eye on her. I guess this is a mystery solved. I did take a picture of it but don't feel the need to post because it is pretty foul.

Quote:
Yeah, soft shelled eggs can be caused by all the stress. I hope your girl recovers quickly and goes on to provide you with many nice eggs.
smile.png

We got a second egg from her the other day. It was in egg shape only it had the consistency of jelly. I ground up some food, oyster shell, egg shells and water then fed it to her. Yesterday she did not lay (it seems like every other day for her) and cross your fingers she will have a normal one today.

i have a dominicker hen who's 6 yrs old and she still lays, 2-3 a week, not bad i suppose and the largest eggs! her hiney is kinda like yours, wet and sticky, i don't know what causes it. maybe age???

Back
Top Bottom