Diarrhea, lethargic hen, comb and eardrum injuries!

tobilon

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 18, 2011
This is the first time I've ever had chickens, but my dad had chickens when he was young, so he's been helping. However, his chickens were for eating, and mine are layers and pets. I don't know if I'm doing anything right, and over the last few days, my chickens have been worrying me.

First, I finally decided to look up the whole diarrhea thing. When I first got my chickens (I bought two silkies, then a week later two australorps, a wyandotte, and three barnyards, and a while after that four Rhode island reds), everyone seemed to have a weird yellow or orange diarrhea; and since I got them all from different places, I thought it was normal. Now I'm reading that it's a symptom for a few different diseases, but my chickens still seem fine. I don't know what to do about it.

Second, I noticed yesterday that one of my australorps, Lady, had her tail down and was moving lethargically. Looking at some pictures from a few weeks ago, I noticed that she's lost a lot of feathers on her throat. Does she have worms? Here are some before and after pictures:
c2.jpg
c-1.jpg

c3.jpg
c1.jpg

Third, I noticed that my silkie hen, Tali, had a bloody eardrum a day ago. It looks like it's torn. She seems fine, but I'm worried that it may get infected. It's a bit hard to see, but here's a picture:
c4.jpg

And finally, I found my alpha rooster Okeer outside of the run today. He was desperately trying to get back in, and was jumping headfirst against the wire to do so. I managed to scoop him up, but it took a bit of effort since he usually avoids me. When I got him back in, I saw that his comb was all bloodied from knocking his noggin on the wire so hard. He seems fine now, but again, I'm worried it may get infected.
c5.jpg

The first 4 pics of your Black Australorp...she is infested with lice/mites, even her comb and wattles. I recommend that you dip her in Adam's flea and tick dip. Do this to all your chickens, most likely they are infested as well. You will need to spray the inside of their coop, nests and roosts with it as well to kill lice/mites there as well. Here's a link with directions how to dip them; post #2.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=530912
You can also use sevin dust on them as follow on treatment.
I recommend that you worm all your chickens after dipping them. Purchase valbazen (albendazole) at your feedstore or order it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. It comes in a 500ml bottle and is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. It kills all types of worms that chickens can get. Administer it orally with a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose them again in 10 days to kill larva hatched since the initial dosing. There is a 24 day egg withdrawal start to finish.
As for your silkie hen with the bloody eardrum, flush the wound with betadine and put neosporin ointment without pain reliever on it. Do the same thing with Okeer.
As far as the poops go, they are probably cecal poop and normal about every 10 droppings or so. Here's a link to the poop chart:
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Thank you very much! It looks like it'll be tough, but I'll do whatever I can for them.

Quote:
You're welcome. Welcome to BYC. Yep, it'll be tough...I've seen worse though. Take one step at a time systematically getting your birds back in shape. First priority is the lice and mite issue. They will take a bird down quickly if not treated right away. They cause anemia, then the bird dies. Then treat the silkie's and Okeer's wounds (easy to do.)
Then the worming with valbazen. You can order it before you start the lice/mite treatment or hopefull you'll find it in the feedstore while you're getting the Adam's dip. In any case, I have confidence in you, that you'll get the job done for the safety, health and welfare of your chickens. Good luck.

Good luck on treating your flock dawg has been one of the best for info on here & accurate. Have faith & you will reap the rewards .
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom